Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I need help picking baseline gearing for my 1968 Chevy 2 Nova with a SBC with twin T70 turbos. It has a custom ground cam by bullet cams, forged rods and pistons at approx 8.5-9 to 1. I plan on running around 15psi. I am running a powerglide with transbrake with a 3200-3500 stall. It currently has 3.08 in a 8.5 big 10 with mini spool. I am running MT ET Street 28x11.5 15's. It has subframe connectors and a 12pt cage. This next winter, it will either get a 4 link or ladder bars and tub or mini tub to run a W tire.

This is all being put together right now, so no idea on what it currently runs. While it is all torn apart, I am trying to decide what gear to run. I know I could run the 3.08's to see what happens, but at only 2-300 for gears, I don't mind going ahead and getting a set now to have in the first time the car goes to the track. It will be run on the 1/8th only as that's all that is near me. It will also be a 90% track car 10% street, so I want it setup for track, not street. Being a small town, I can avoid all our 55mph highways and take all 35-45 mph roads on days I do street it.

My friend that is helping me build it is a nitrous guy and says I should go for 4.10's...I feel this may not put enough load on the engine to build proper boost....I think I should be around 3.42-3.73...what do you guys think a good baseline gear would be?

·
Premium Member
3,950 Posts
Hello all! I need help picking baseline gearing for my 1968 Chevy 2 Nova with a SBC with twin T70 turbos. It has a custom ground cam by bullet cams, forged rods and pistons at approx 8.5-9 to 1. I plan on running around 15psi. I am running a powerglide with transbrake with a 3200-3500 stall. It currently has 3.08 in a 8.5 big 10 with mini spool. I am running MT ET Street 28x11.5 15's. It has subframe connectors and a 12pt cage. This next winter, it will either get a 4 link or ladder bars and tub or mini tub to run a W tire.

This is all being put together right now, so no idea on what it currently runs. While it is all torn apart, I am trying to decide what gear to run. I know I could run the 3.08's to see what happens, but at only 2-300 for gears, I don't mind going ahead and getting a set now to have in the first time the car goes to the track. It will be run on the 1/8th only as that's all that is near me. It will also be a 90% track car 10% street, so I want it setup for track, not street. Being a small town, I can avoid all our 55mph highways and take all 35-45 mph roads on days I do street it.

My friend that is helping me build it is a nitrous guy and says I should go for 4.10's...I feel this may not put enough load on the engine to build proper boost....I think I should be around 3.42-3.73...what do you guys think a good baseline gear would be?
3.55-3.70 on a 31” tire
I’ve got a twin 66mm turbo LS2 with I believe 3300 converter through a glide but have a gear venders od on it. It has 3.70s in it.
Most it’s run is down the street lol. No test passes just yet.

I worry about your ten bolt.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Your combo isn’t gonna make serious torque off the hit but is gonna come on hard after 60’ when it builds boost. I worry about that 10 bolt also. You don’t want to lose an axle at 75 plus mph. I’d invest in a 9” diff or c-clip eliminators at the least.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Get rid of the mini spool and buy a real spool. The cross pin was never designed for that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody. I agree, the 10 bolt won't survive. I have a ford 9" that will be going in this winter hopefully. I will be going either 4 link or ladder bars and tubs or mini tubs at that point too. My hope is it will hold together through this year. Through the break in and initial testing of everything it won't see alot of crazy hard launches etc.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have a brand new never ran set of 3:25s coming out of a ford 9" for sale soon. They were for my turbo d nova build...turbos love gear, once it lights off, it likes to stay in it as long as possible.

They are from Moser. Im switching to 3.89s for my new NA bullet

·
Premium Member
3,950 Posts
Thanks everybody. I agree, the 10 bolt won't survive. I have a ford 9" that will be going in this winter hopefully. I will be going either 4 link or ladder bars and tubs or mini tubs at that point too. My hope is it will hold together through this year. Through the break in and initial testing of everything it won't see alot of crazy hard launches etc.
I agree with the mini tubs- I plan to run a 295 tire currently have a 275.I took my Caltrac bars off and put Smith race craft assassin bars but kept the caltrac split monos. Can lower the car and have more adjustability than caltracs
I don’t think you necessarily need the ladder bar set up. We did put in a anti roll bar though. If you can try to keep simple what you can. Everything can get out of hand and overwhelming in a hurry with these high hp builds. My .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts