Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my car running and I have a leak somewhere on the front of the tranny, it's the same leak as before I pulled it. I changed the pump seal, rear seal and pan seal. ???????????? I'm stumped, and it's not a slow leak, and it isnt spaying. Its just dripping from the front.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well it could be a number of spots but it could be the pump seal ( not the small one you already replaced) ive got sorrta the same problem with mine but i think its the smaller front seal :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Turbo 350 Leaks?

Hey Now. Convertor Seal, or Front Pump to Case Seal, Seal Shift Shaft through Case lft side, Filler tube, Kick down cable to case, Cooling lines right side. Does the leak/drip occur at front center of tranny? This could also be a warped pan at front or case not straight. Note the warped pan is what happened on mine years back. I had changed all the other seals and it still leaked until I replaced the tranny pan. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Go to your local GM dealership and ask for some leak check dye for transmissions. Its a little bottle used to check leaks with a black light. Clean the area where you think its leaking real good with brake clean. Add the dye to the trans then go drive it. Check for leaks with a black light or a UV light and you'll see where the leak is. With the UV or black light the dye will turn the fluid neon green. I had the same problem with my th350 turned out to be the converter hub.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
i have the same problem with mine but for me its in the rear and its a real slow leak comes out as little drops i have no clue what the source is but i think its the rear seal

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had a problem running a chromed steel pan...just couldn't get a good seal. I replaced the gasket numerous times. It leaked slowly from the front of the pan, and if I let it sit for more than a day or two I would have a good size puddle under the car. I put on a cast aluminum pan and it is dry as a bone now. Only problem is the front of the pan gives me some ground clearance issues now (it is the larger capacity pan). Ii am looking for a cast aluminum pan that is a normal capacity now so I can eliminate the ground clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Common leaks in the trans~!

#1 is the dip stick, the o-ring or rubber seal is pinched where the dipstick is installed. It could also be in a bind (bent over) not allowing the dip stick tube to seal.

#2, same thing with the kick down cable. it also has a o-ring

#3 chrome trans pans & rubber (neoprene) gaskets do not mix! A cork (or cork mix) gasket is the only way to seal a chrome pan.

#4 at the rear the speed-o gear housing o-ring & seal.

#5 Shift shaft seal. (kinda rare)

Al

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its coming from the front center from what it looks like but it only does it when its running.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
same here except mine is getting thrown onto the header :eek: it leaves a drip mark im not loosing fluid i have a deep sump aluminum pan and cork gasket i have quick dis connect trans cooler fittings too :yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts