Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin about putting a tunnel ram on my nova.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-03-0177/

I've currently got a 350sbc bored to 383 with 373 gears a TH400, 2,000 rpm stall converter and a Lunati cam Duration 292/292, Lift .480/.480

Will I see any kind of positve gains. And yes part or most of the reason for this possible upgrade is cool factor :devil:

·
Registered
810 Posts
x2 not enough combo for the T-ram. You need better heads, bigger cam,more stall ect ect. Even the so called street rams have trouble running down low.If your looking for the wow effect then by all means do so. But most likley will be a pooch under 3500. Id say if you had a .550 lift or better cam 3500 stall and 4.11 gears and great heads it would go pretty good. I tried Weiand T-ram on a 427 that started life as a 425 hp model with L-88 cam 4k stall and 4.56 gears. Very quick but diddnt like low speed operation at all!

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
YOU NEED ALOT MORE OF ALOT OF THINGS AS CCVAIR NOTED, I USED THAT VERY T-RAM FOR A RACE APPLICATION, NOT FOR STREET:no:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x2 not enough combo for the T-ram. You need better heads, bigger cam,more stall ect ect. Even the so called street rams have trouble running down low.If your looking for the wow effect then by all means do so. But most likley will be a pooch under 3500. Id say if you had a .550 lift or better cam 3500 stall and 4.11 gears and great heads it would go pretty good. I tried Weiand T-ram on a 427 that started life as a 425 hp model with L-88 cam 4k stall and 4.56 gears. Very quick but diddnt like low speed operation at all!
Thank you all for your input. Really appreciate it. Definitely rethinking this potential purchase. Out of curiosity with my setup as of now, what would the possible result be of buying this combo kit or one similar? It might look cool like i would like but I dont wanna just look cool standing still and stalling out all the time.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Even a street ram with the 450 cfm holleys is not going to be a low end powerhouse. Find a small blower like a B&M if your looking for something to poke through the hood.If the compression is 9.5-1 or lower that would get the job done with what you have and run way better all around.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
probably be a dog off the line, tunnel rams like LOTS of air and it takes a lot of RPM's to get that thing filled...

you need better heads, more compression... once you start down that road the part options/machine services are endless and all expenses add up. the old saying of "how fast do you want to go ~equates to~ how much money do you have" comes to mind...

just adding a cam doesn't make a hi-perf engine, it helps but all things need to be matched together for the type of usage the engine will see, lower rpm, quick off the line torque. medium off the line, more mid range & higher rpm usage or all out top end high rpm/high mph engine... they all need certain parts to get there and also the engine requires higher quality more specific machine work for it to hold together...

before i'd invest in a tunnel ram i'd first look into a better set of heads... also looking at the basic short block and determine what will be needed there... rod work, crank/mains work, balancing, what pistons are used... a lot of things come into play...

also... your cam is fairly mild...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I disagree with all of these people discouraging the Tunnel Ram. There was more positve thread from people who actually have run them here:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171643

Not trying to be argumenative, but make sure all the opinions above were based upon actual, first hand expereinces with running a Tunnel Ram on a set-up like yours.

Seems like there is a bit of a theme in certain sections of the forum where you are ecouraged to run vortec heaads, a single 4 barrel, over drive transmissions, etc. I'm not a fan of these "belly button" builds cause everyone already has one.

Now I will say, the 450 Tunnel Ram set-up is probably not your best option. I started running a pair of 600 Holley (1850's) back in the early 1990's when I was just a teen. If I could figure it out, so can you. My car ran great, or at least better than the majority of street racers down in Philadelphia. on a Sunday night.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Tunnel Ram????

Not if you want performance.

Looks... maybe! Performance NO!

·
Registered
517 Posts
circa 1972

Circa 2009

This is a V6 with tunnel ram and dual quads

They can make great power AND be streetale with giving up very little, but yes a single carb can be tuned more quickly, easier and when compared wiht a poorly configured tunnel ram it will seem to make more power.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Back in '72 you seen them all over the place.

In 2012 the only place you see them is on cars owned by guys living the past. The same guys that think running a stick is cool too, till they take 'em to the track.

Technology evolved, the tunnel ram didn't and now is basically a nostalgic piece.

They do look good though.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hell you want to go real fast? Build a LSX engine and stap a couple hair dryers on it! Guarenteed no tunnel ramed small block will even come close! Then again its only money aint it?:yes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used the same setup on my 385 stroker, and it worked just fine. I was running more cam and AFR's though. Made 400 whp through an auto and 10 bolt. the 450's might be a bit much for your current setup, might try and find some 390s instead.

as far as cool factor, hell yeah!! :devil:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for all the input guys, awesome! So it seems the general consensus would be that even with the right jets, timing and power valves my current motor for a tunnel ram setup is useless. Regardless all this input has definitely helped me in making a decision on where to put my money :devil:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thinkin about putting a tunnel ram on my nova.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-03-0177/

I've currently got a 350sbc bored to 383 with 373 gears a TH400, 2,000 rpm stall converter and a Lunati cam Duration 292/292, Lift .480/.480

Will I see any kind of positve gains. And yes part or most of the reason for this possible upgrade is cool factor :devil:
I designed a tunnel ram that is just for the street. Instead of one giant plenum it has four very small plenums, and it gives a big boost in low-end torque, even above a dual-plane. Google "Real Street Ram" and you can get more info. This will work great with everything else you already have.

- Wayne

·
Registered
517 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts