Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 62 has a good TPI in it now but looking for a little more bling. Anyone deal with Arkansas Polishing? Complete rebuilt unit polished and rebuilt for $550 plus shipping. Intake and metal parts are powder coated too.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Looks nice , I have a question for you on the Tune Port i have a friend who has a whole setup including stand alone computer how do like the Tune Port setup what size engine are you running it on.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Get this I originally bought a tpi for my Nova and polished it myself. Didnt cost much just a bit of elbow grease. Started with the different grades of sandpaper and used mothers at the end. Ended up selling it on ebay. Looked alot like the one in your pic when I was done though. Im about to start up my superram which is a modified version of tpi. I cant say much for how they run but my friend had one on his 305 gta and that thing felt like a 350 with a carb.

Heres my 383 currently. My superram is half way assembled. Im going to purchase my 700r4 crossmember this weekend. So you know the stock tpi was specifically designed for the 305 in mind. This is the edelbrock lower tpi intake.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looks nice , I have a question for you on the Tune Port i have a friend who has a whole setup including stand alone computer how do like the Tune Port setup what size engine are you running it on.
Mine is on a 305 from a 85 IROC-Z and it added a bunch of torque. I love it! Being injected you don't have to worry about the normal carburetor problems and float levels etc. Plenty of power for cruising and making the wife happy. I believe this one has 19lb injectors and the 350's had 22-23lb injectors. I ordered the new polished unit today. Can't wait to get it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My new tuned port came in today and I can't wait to install it. Local indoor car show here this week end so may be next week before I can do the install.

Did it come from Arkansas Polishing and if so are you satisfied with their service?Looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The rear cover that extends on the back of the plenum and covers the top of the distributor. Is that a metal piece? Everyone of them I have ever seen is plastic. Including the one on mine. This one looks to be the 87-88 type due to the center manifold bolt holes and is running MAF with the 9th injector.
This is somthing I've been really wanting to put on any of my cars since these systems were new back in the 80's. I've gathered up and pieced together a TPI system, But my big obstical is the fuel delivery, pump and return lines. How did you solve that part? Not many people run these and I'm gonna need some help or advice whenever I get a chance to actually install it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The rear cover that extends on the back of the plenum and covers the top of the distributor. Is that a metal piece? Everyone of them I have ever seen is plastic. Including the one on mine. This one looks to be the 87-88 type due to the center manifold bolt holes and is running MAF with the 9th injector.
This is somthing I've been really wanting to put on any of my cars since these systems were new back in the 80's. I've gathered up and pieced together a TPI system, But my big obstical is the fuel delivery, pump and return lines. How did you solve that part? Not many people run these and I'm gonna need some help or advice whenever I get a chance to actually install it.
I am in the process of installing one in my 66 and ordered a Tank,Pump,Sending unit and Straps from Tanks inc.
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=408/category_id=144/home_id=143/mode=prod/prd408.htm
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=227/mode=prod/prd227.htm

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks for the link. Yeah I know about the aftermarket tanks for the inside FI pumps. BIG $$$$$$ there. I am assuming the tank is without the pump or sending unit..Cha Ching!, add the required fuel pump..Cha Ching!, add the required sending unit..Cha Ching! add the required high pressure fuel lines from the tank to the injector rail..Cha Ching! add the required fuel return lines..Cha ching! add the various nickle and dime extras like brackets, line adapters and electrical harness..Cha Ching! And you have a fuel delivery system thats probably pushing 800 to 1k alone. Not in my budget. This is why I'm held up. Its the COST. Given this technology is over 25 years old, you'd think by now it would be affordable. Has nobody figured out a junk yard solution? But I do appreciate the link. maybe if I win the lottery:D

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I mentioned this a couple of years ago in a thread that these TPI systems use to be on every car out there, custom or not. So many in fact that you just got tired of seeing them.

Now that you don't really see them that much anymore they're kinda cool and "different". Almost looks like a custom built intake system and the one in this thread looks very high end. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
...And you have a fuel delivery system thats probably pushing 800 to 1k alone. Not in my budget...
You could come up with a fuel system for far less than $800-1k. I know one could get it done for under $300 with careful parts selection and shopping.

Fancy braided SST lines and AN fittings aren't necessary; You can adapt an OEM pump and regulator, or use an external pump and regulator. The baffling in the fancy tanks help, but isn't absolutely necessary; you can modify your existing tank or a reproduction replacement to work with the FI pickup and return.

Sometimes if you want to save money, you just have to do the leg work yourself. "Turn key" systems with new parts from the aftermarket will never be cheap.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
You could come up with a fuel system for far less than $800-1k. I know one could get it done for under $300 with careful parts selection and shopping.

Fancy braided SST lines and AN fittings aren't necessary; You can adapt an OEM pump and regulator, or use an external pump and regulator. The baffling in the fancy tanks help, but isn't absolutely necessary; you can modify your existing tank or a reproduction replacement to work with the FI pickup and return.

Sometimes if you want to save money, you just have to do the leg work yourself. "Turn key" systems with new parts from the aftermarket will never be cheap.
^ ^ ^ Very.... Very true! ^ ^ ^ :yes:

And I might add that if you want the extra "bling", sand it down and polish it yourself.

If none of this suits your tastes then spend the long buck for a bolt-on, ready to rock 'n roll piece, slap it on and be on the road in about a day.

·
Registered
160 Posts
New to the forums, First post...Howdy everyone...I just bought a 1965 ss that has a 383 with TPI, the car isnt wired up yet or the fuel tank and plumbing installed, hope to get working on it this week, anything i shoudl know lol.

·
Registered
968 Posts
New to the forums, First post...Howdy everyone...I just bought a 1965 ss that has a 383 with TPI, the car isnt wired up yet or the fuel tank and plumbing installed, hope to get working on it this week, anything i shoudl know lol.
I am in the process of hooking up a 1988 Vette TPI in my 66.Do you have the Tank,Pump and Wiring yet?Just wondering.My Harness came from TPIS:yes:My Tank,Pump and Sending Unit came from Tank's Inc.:yes:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

You're right, I was just trying to see if anyone else had done the leg work and found somthing already that would work before I did any looking of my own. Trying to save time, which I am short of these days. I know on the Tri five forums, a guy figured out which later model factory production FI tank with fuel pump sending unit that would work in a 55-57 chevy perfectly and could be easily found in any pullapart salvage yard. He shared that info with tri five owners who wanted a more affordable alternative to expensive aftermarket fuel delivery systems when converting to later model fuel injection. I have been wondering if anyone has done the same for 1st/2nd gen novas yet.
I'm not necessarily looking for cheap. I am looking for affordable. Areomotive offers a phantom in tank universal fit pump kit thats designed to fit a variety of older style tanks. Car Craft has an article on it in current oct issuie. Not cheap but, when compaired to the cost of new modern replacement in-tank fuel pumps for late model production cars, it is actually affordable.
Might be the direction i'm going to go in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts