Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to tuck my front bumper in about an inch and a half. But my welder died on me a few months ago, so I wondering if it can be done with welding. I've read that people had drilled the bumper shocks so they could compress them and then welded them where they wanted them. But I'm wondering if I could drill and drain them and then just run a big screw into them to hold them at the right distance. Think that would work?

I'm also planning on pulling the front bumper and cutting the main parts of the big heavy extra support out so it's only there where the mounting holes are.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone have any pics? I was also thinking about doing this.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I did the bump on my 78', just drill a hole and push in, i didnt use a screw, i also cut out the extra support, looks real nice afterwards.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I was looking for an aircleaner that wouldn't cover up the new shiney edelbrock carb or the polished intake. I've got the engine in now, but it's hard to tell if my 2 1/4" cowl hood will swallow it or not. If it hits I may try to trim a half inch or so off the bottom of the stack. The very bottom looks pretty straight so I don't think it will increase the diameter much if any. The problem will be trying to figure out what to cut it with to keep it perfectly flat.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
tucked 4 gen front bumper

i tucked mine the other day. removed impact absorbers, most of bumper reinforcement, bumper filler and filler extensions. i did this mainly to loose lbs for racing. i also removed sway bar, and plan on fiberglass hood.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
i tucked mine the other day. removed impact absorbers, most of bumper reinforcement, bumper filler and filler extensions. i did this mainly to loose lbs for racing. i also removed sway bar, and plan on fiberglass hood.
I used my mounting shocks to mount my bumper, just compress them,How did you mount yours? and what did you do about hood realease? I have a cable hooked to my hood release that I hook with a tool I made for it,How are you doing yours? I will take some photos of mine tomorrow,I do like mine as is but the super tuck looks good too

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
tucking front bumper

I will try and describe how I tucked my bumper, I hope you can make sense of it.
I first removed the re-enforcement and license plate bracket from the bumper. Noting on the forward side of the re-enforcement, there are (hour-glass) shaped pieces of steel, each with 4 studs attached that are used to bolt the the shocks. I removed these two plates. I removed both impact absorbers from the frame. I then noticed, the bolt pattern of the (hour-glass) shaped pieces of steel with the 4 studs had near the same bolt pattern as the end of the frame horns. The width bolt pattern was the same, however the vertical pattern was too wide. However being very close to the same, I found by just slotting the bottom 2 holes down to the bottom of the flange. These plates would bolt up just fine.
I cut as much of the re-enforcement as I dared, leaving only about 5 inches and using 1 mounting bolt on top and 1 mounting bolt on bottom, at each side where the stock mounting surface bolted to the absorbers.
With the grill removed, and the bumper filler end pieces removed. I positioned the bumper on the front of the car, centered side-to-side and just below the headlamp doors evenly on each side, also adjusted the pitch of the bumper to flow with the lines of the car. With the bumper positioned where I wanted it, I then tack welded each (hour-glass) piece of steel with the 4 studs to the pieces of bumper re-enforcement. I then removed the bumper and fully welded the (hour-glass) pieces to the re-enforcement.
I then simply bolted the bumper to the flanges on the frame horns.
I also discarded the license plate holder, and simply drilled the bumper and screwed the license plate directly to the bumper.

As far as the hood release, until I come up with a better idea. I trimmed about 3/4 inch off of the release lever, so it would clear the bottom of the bumper. I do need to use a pry-bar or additional leverage to aid in releasing the hood.

May I say; ProNova I have always admired your car, I think it's BADDD ASSSS!

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Wow and I do understand what you did, I saw another done that way.As for the hood release.Drill a hole in the release between the bumper and grill,than attach a cable with a loob on end, and then just make a handle with a loop to match, so you can just reach in and hook the loop and pull. And also thanks for the kind words, I also like my car I mean no I too like yours,Something about yellow SS 4th Gens look so cool with the black

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yea, I was looking for an aircleaner that wouldn't cover up the new shiney edelbrock carb or the polished intake. I've got the engine in now, but it's hard to tell if my 2 1/4" cowl hood will swallow it or not. If it hits I may try to trim a half inch or so off the bottom of the stack. The very bottom looks pretty straight so I don't think it will increase the diameter much if any. The problem will be trying to figure out what to cut it with to keep it perfectly flat.
i did mine with a cut off wheel, just use a sharpie and make your mark around it and take your time, it cuts easy, them go back over it with a long mill file to get it nice and flat.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I did mine with screws and have had no problems
I did the bump on my 78', just drill a hole and push in, i didnt use a screw, i also cut out the extra support, looks real nice afterwards.
Where do you drill the hole to release the oil/pressure? Is a bolt needed? Where does it go? If you dont use a bolt, can the bumper move? I removed the 4 bolts and the bumper was spinning. It wouldnt come out though....It was spinning like it was threaded in the hole

1 - 20 of 24 Posts