Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best tubing bender? I need to bend 3/16" stainless for my brake lines and 3/8" for fuel lines.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Snap On sell a nice plastic one that will not scratch the tubing.It does 3/16 to 3/8

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
The best? No such thing. I have a plastic die bender also, works pretty good. Have one with a 24" arms that bends stiff tube, like SS pretty well. I actually like to form my own bends with various rounds I have laying around. Brake tubing, SS or OEM type all bends pretty easily. You really dont need a bender. Any piece of pipe in various sizes works just fine. I have five benders, I still resort to hand hand bending on a pipe.. And Im talking about brake lines here.. JR

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Boy you did a good job there. Sears, Snap On they are all about the same.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Thanks. I went through several feet of tubing before I was happy with the end result. Having a good bender helped also.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Tubing..

All i can say is that stainless 3/8 gas line broke my bender smaller size i guess it may be fine, If its stainless start thinking how to flare the ends, i broke my flairing tool also. I gave up and took my brake line to the Corvette shop a couple towns over....

Stainless is a Bitch.. GOOD luck

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Stainless is difficult to double flare.Stainless brake lines tend to leak.

Stainless just isnt a malleable material and maleability is a characteristic needed for a double flare to seal.
Yup:yes::yes: a little oil helps a little too.....Tip from the FINN

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Swadgelok is the best, i own 1/4 3/8/1/2 all tight radius for stainless steal. i am a professional tube bender by trade and these benders all total $500.:)

Yup, go to any of the aircraft dealers and the swagelok is the tool to buy, outta my range :( JR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts