Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Most collision shops don't have the time to spend on a classic car that it requires to do the job correctly. New cars are easy to fix because the repairs are strait forward , remove and replace. With classic cars you have to remove, repair, remove corrosion, protect the metal, and then replace. The problem is a "restoration shop" charges alot more per hour and is out of reach for most of us.

That being said, you may be able to find a good collision bodyman who is willing to do the work on the side on the weekends for a more resonable cost. With the economy in a bad state this is the best time for this. I am a bodyshop estimator and I have my car at the shop now and it just sits until the techs run out of work and they can either work on my car or just sit there and make no money. Obviously you don't have this option but you may be able to sit outside a shop around 5 pm and see if you can't strike up a conversation with one of the techs. Another idea would be to talk to the bodyshop manager and ask them if they know someone who is out of work who he could recommend for some side work. I would not recommend someone who does not have a job, or someone who says they can do bodywork because there are alot of "butchers" out there. If they are working in a good shop they sould be able to help you out. Just be careful if you choose this route. :yes:

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
1floho is absolutely correct in what he advises. I just want to know a little more about what you need done and what you expect the end results to be, show car, driver, etc. Do you need body work, rust repair, panel replacement, or do you just need the car painted because you have done all the prep work. If you just need paint and it is just a driver it should not be very hard to find a shop to do that. If you need more maybe lots more you better have DEEP pockets and lots of time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the advice so far. The car has had every spot of rust repaired and all necessary panels replaced. All Im looking for is someone to do the small amount of filler work where the panels have been replaced and then paint. Looking for a shop that does show quality or near show quality. The car is not a driver.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A lot of "body shops" don't paint whole cars much anymore. Mostly light collision damage and spot repair. They are not what they once were.
Most have gotten soo spoiled by the quick easy work and good paying insurance jobs that they are hesitant about doing a whole car that will hold up bay and paint booth space for longer than a few days. Its all about turning out as much work as quickly as possible. Thats what makes them their money. The more insurance jobs they do in a week, the more money they make.
The work you need done isn't hard to do. Its just time consuming . I've done work like that for 20 yrs.
Your best bet is to learn how to do it yourself and become as multi talented in as many aspects of car building and restoration as you can. That way you're not left hanging waiting, looking and depending on someone else.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts