Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well once again I have the dilemma of choices. My 383 is going to begin it's build period soon. From all my estimates, it will be putting out somewhere around 400-425 HP. My initial though was to use the D-1SC model. My power band should be right in the middle of it's usability range. (300-500)
Now to my question. Would there be any benifits (beside more possible horsepower) to using one of the F series chargers?
I've read that a lower compression ratio, gives you the ability to apply more boost. Is that correct? If so, would 10.5:1 have adequet boost possibilites?

Has anybody here had much experience with Prochargers?(probably a stupid question i know)

As always, Thanks in advance for your help.

Comic

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
From all my estimates, it will be putting out somewhere around 400-425 HP
Are you talking about 400-425 BEFORE adding the blower? Why would you waste the money on the Procharger when you could make 400 h.p. with a nearly stock engine without it?
10.5-1 would work with boost using race gas, but if you plan to use it as a driver, I'd stay lower.
9-1 with a F2 could make you 900 or so on pump gas.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You definitely need to lower your compression.:yes: Around 9:1 seems to be the trend these days. The Top rings need to have a bit more gap and the block, crank, rods and rod bolts need to be GOOD parts!!!

The D-1SC is capable of 900+ HP. The "F-1" series compressors will work in the same applications and are capable of 1000+ to 1300+ HP levels. The difference is how fast the boost comes in and how hard. The "F" series compressors are going to be a bit noisier as well and have a bit more parasitic loss while not under boost. The "F" series compressors (or even the D-1SC if MAX boost is utilized) will need a bit more "Beef" in the engine assembly as well. Typically, a custom crank with a BBC snout and dual Keyways is recommended as well.

Both compressors if utilized in an intercooled application are capable of making INSANE power!!! Even on pump gas...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bowtie- Yes, 400-425 N/A. I know that is plenty for a street car. But here is the overall plan for the car

Once a year for about the next five or so years, I will replace one or two drivetrain components with racing grade parts. First is the engine, next transmission, then the driveshaft. After that I will be in the market for a mini tub kit, and 4-link suspension and rear end setup. Then comes any other parts I will need to keep up with what I have already added. Most likely front suspension parts. I realize that this is a slow project, but being a military guy, I don't get to spend much time in MI with my Dad to work on it. So it's starting as a street car, and will slowly become a strip/streetable car.

D-man- For the parts that are going to be used in my engine, I'm sure 'GOOD' would be a severe understatement. The guy building my engine is a long time friend of my Dad's and has been running his machine shop for 30+ years. As my Dad so elequently put it, "That is all he knows is HORSEPOWER." Lol.
As for what you said about compression, I'm hopeing it will be closer to 9:1. I think the D-1SC should provide plenty of boost. I'm just curious if I would have more versatility by using and F series. And as far as the noise is concerned, my exhaust had a pretty loud rumble to it when it was just a 350. So I think it should enough volume to make the Procharger's noise a 'mute' point. :DAll pun intended:D

What is the max boost that each model can put out? I thought I had read something about certain models not being street legal. Is there any truth to that? And is there a max horsepower that is street legal?

So I guess the question that I really want an answer to is this: What is the max HP/boost a 383 with a 4 bolt main block, bored .040 over, and 9:1compression can reliably create?

Thanks again you guys.

Comic

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
As for any of their compressors not being "Street Legal"......PURE B.S.:yes: Maybe 50 state emissions legal status is what you heard.:yes: Pro Charger has only filed for emissions exemption status on selected models and they are mostly for late model factory EFI applications.

A stock block will be limited by power, not boost. Around 750 HP the world starts to change. Main caps start walking, etc. I've seen a few 900 HP stock blocks in boosted applications live but they may very well be the exception and not the rule!! A Dart SHP block would be an EXCELLENT step. There's no since in doing $1000 of machine work on a stock block just to gamble the life of a $700-$1000 crank and everything else!!
The reason I say the limits are based on HP and not boost is because it's VERY common to see someone with better flowing heads (and intake) make MORE power with less boost simply because the better flowing components allow the engine to move more air.
Think of a bad set of heads as a restriction. They're only gonna flow so much no matter how much boost pressure is applied.
Whether it's an inner cooled system makes a huge difference as well!!!:yes:
As to the compressor noise......A couple of the "F" series compressors can be plainly heard over open headers!! Just the nature of the beast. More aggressive impellers and cog drive belts make more noise. AND the more pulley ratio you give 'em (to make more boost) will spin them faster and make even more noise.
Give ATI a call. They've got an EXCELLENT tech crew that can help out with the selection quite a bit.:yes:

Here's their compressor charts:
http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml

Craig at BDS would be another great contact!!
http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts