Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to bleed the brakes on my 74 nova front disc rear drum .I tried it the old fashion way with no success so then I borrowed a pressure bleeder still have no luck. The master is rock hard with the plugs in for bench bleeding but after trying for a couple hours to get the air out im ready to scream ive never had this problem before the pedal just will not firm up, any ideas would be helpful.:mad::mad:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im trying to bleed the brakes on my 74 nova front disc rear drum .I tried it the old fashion way with no success so then I borrowed a pressure bleeder still have no luck. The master is rock hard with the plugs in for bench bleeding but after trying for a couple hours to get the air out im ready to scream ive never had this problem before the pedal just will not firm up, any ideas would be helpful.:mad::mad:
take the top off your master cylinder and open both bleeders on either the front or rear brakes....let gravity push the air out...just be sure to keep the master full.....it may take a while .but it does work ..ive done this on corvettes alot

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Also, use an ohmmeter and make sure you haven't tripped your proportioning valve.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been around this block too many times, and all I can say is that speed bleeders are worth 10 times what they cost ($7 a pair usually; either Autozone Help brand parts section, or online from Russel). they have a one way check valve. you crack them a quarter turn like normal, jam the pedal until they flow clean, then shut em. no timing, no helper, no worries, They also have a coating on the thread so you don't lose air there. Trust me, you'll never do anything else again.

i should also point out that brakline fittings are super finicky and if you have anything leaking you'll never get the air out. So, make absolutely sure your fitting are tight and leak free first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts