Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Champion radiators. I am looking at there 3 row part # cc6267 along with the factory shroud. Currently i have not had any major overheating issues but if i get caught in traffic i start to get nervous. So i am just looking to stay ahead of the game.

Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Vendor
1,495 Posts
A LOT of people are running them. Inexpensive, made in China. I have only heard of minimal issues and warranty resolution was straight forward. Fitment is decent in Novas.

Aluminum radiators are like spark plugs and oil, there are endless opinions about their efficacy and which ones are best. There is an argument that aluminum is overkill and actually does not cool better for stock-to-moderate street applications. I am in that camp. We run copper / brass, normally U.S. radiator brand.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have been running a Champion CC65BA rad for 8 years now without a problem in the cooling department. My only issue was I had to make rad spacers to align it to the rad support mounts which was cockeyed from the start, the rad manufacture was fine and all square!

I am now installing another Champion rad with a shroud kit and 2 SPAL fans!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I’ve ran the champion 6267 in my 66 for 3 years now without any issues. Keeps my 600+ hp sbc at 190-200 degrees on the hottest days. I also run a Taurus cooling fan. We’ve got the same radiator in 2 other nova’s also.

·
6,281 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with Champion radiators. I am looking at there 3 row part # cc6267 along with the factory shroud. Currently i have not had any major overheating issues but if i get caught in traffic i start to get nervous. So i am just looking to stay ahead of the game.

Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated
Maybe a change of cooling fan(s) is all that is needed for what you have. What are you using for air movement?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
i had high heat when i got in stop n go traffic with a pusher style derale elec fan. i took it out an put a 6 blade derale manual fan 3/4'' off the radiator an put a new hei dist with correct timing. an i have a 4 core copper/brass radiator with a 160 thermostat i run 175-185. all is good now. an this is in a 66 with a 327 ci at 300 hp.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
So, would anybody think of adding a "Baffle under their rad. core support " ? ? ?

Ok - - this is just " info " ; (because my car is just a 'straight six motor' ) . . . . . but, it did come equipped with 'Factory A/C system' and, because of the a/c - - - it also has the
Heavy Duty Cooling package .
This HD cooling : has a V8 radiator , a 7 blade - V8 - fan blade (# 3947772) , with a 'Thermal Fan Clutch' , no fan shroud , but, a 'shorter style a/c water pump' (six cyl a/c only w/p) .

Then, here is my info : This system - - factory car w/ A-C , H D (VO1) cooling . . . . . also, included a "Rubber Seal" across the top of the rad. support - - - to seal the hood / core support " Gap " : makes more (forced) on - coming air go through the rad. (instead of over the core support ) .

Then, this H D - ( ROP #) - VO1 - (option) . . . . also includes a "A/C Baffle" : mounted under the front bumper - - back to the 'front frame cross-member' - - (look at the Picture = A/C Baffle ).

# 1 - -

Helps from 'picking - up - hot - road - heat' . . . . like . . . . in stop-n-go traffic , or - sitting at a red-light . . . ? ? ?

I do have some pictures of the "rubber seal" on the core support ( but not on this computer). but . . .

look here : Heart Beat City . com . . . . . they show one for the Camaro's - - - same thing . . . . . and cheap enough . If u'r intersted . .

alot of people know this = = some people do not . . . . just FYI - - - - jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts