Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not asking which is better I know that's a dumb question, really just hoping to hear the experience people have had with there setups regarding either trutrac, Detroit locker or good old fashion spool for street/strip cars hanging in the 700hp range.
Ive researched a lot on these three and ive found a few common answers.
trutrac is great unless youre pushing 500+ then its not and can fail causing a bad situation :eek:
Detroit locker has a tendency to slip hard when a 600+ car hooks.
Spool is very hard on street car axles because of tight turns dragging wheels.

Of course ive read many other things but these 3 seem to be very common, making it really hard to decide. I almost thought just doing a spool but I don't want those turning issues in parking lots and things like that. But I really don't want to be stressing breaking one more thing when I do get the rare track day, or having slipping issues.

Anyways, just hoping to get you guys input on what you have or have had and your experiences for street driving would be great to get input on some people in the 6-700hp range but anything will do.

·
Registered
886 Posts
How much street driving can be expected in a 6-700 HP car. Once you get to that you are most likely dealing with small diameter high stall converters and steep rear gears. I ran spools and good aftermarket axles in my race cars. You could drive them a little on the streets but because of the things listed the time spent actually driving the cars were limited. I do realize that with big inch engines or turbo applications you can build more streetable combinations that produce more power but there comes a point where you either want to drive the car or make it go as fast as it can go. It's one thing to crank a race car up and drive it three or four miles to the burger joint but it's entirely different if that burger joint is twenty five miles down the road.

My 65 has a healthy 383 engine with aluminum heads and a hyd. roller camshaft. It makes around 450 or so and has a true track posi unit. So far it has performed flawlessly. You really can't tell it's there. It just works and can be driven anywhere you want to head it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
How much street driving can be expected in a 6-700 HP car. Once you get to that you are most likely dealing with small diameter high stall converters and steep rear gears. I ran spools and good aftermarket axles in my race cars. You could drive them a little on the streets but because of the things listed the time spent actually driving the cars were limited. I do realize that with big inch engines or turbo applications you can build more streetable combinations that produce more power but there comes a point where you either want to drive the car or make it go as fast as it can go. It's one thing to crank a race car up and drive it three or four miles to the burger joint but it's entirely different if that burger joint is twenty five miles down the road.

My 65 has a healthy 383 engine with aluminum heads and a hyd. roller camshaft. It makes around 450 or so and has a true track posi unit. So far it has performed flawlessly. You really can't tell it's there. It just works and can be driven anywhere you want to head it.
You must not be all that famaliar with lsx builds...600-700hp isnt hard anymore, pricey, but not hard...lol, all good, i just had to throw that out there...
Nowadays we have Moser and Strange offer indestructible diff units called "WAVETRACKS" n "S-TRAC". Gauranteed for life n suposedly very street friendly

https://www.moserengineering.com/WAVETRAC-Torque-biasing.dept

https://www.strangeengineering.net/...rac-helical-gear-differential-35-spline.html/

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My build/set up: cliffnotes
700+ flywheel, 9.5" fti hard hit lock up converter in a 4l80e trans(over drive is key), 3:89 or 3:90 gears depending on brand in a ford 9" w/Wavetrac diff, 18" wheels and a street tire-bfg rival S

Heat, ac, power steering, n a big wilwood set up(manual brakes bcuz my VCs are to tall). If this thing isnt streetable anywhere n everywhere, its gettn sold n i ll bank money til chevy releases a new z06 or zr1 corvette in the c8 style mid rear engine configuration!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

O dang so certain corvettes and hellcats and demons and certain Camaros etc etc cant make it 25 miles for a burger!?
I get your point but 700hp on the street is nothing crazy now days with all different kinds of builds. Just looking for experience with the listed products or others.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You must not be all that famaliar with lsx builds...600-700hp isnt hard anymore, pricey, but not hard...lol, all good, i just had to throw that out there...
Nowadays we have Moser and Strange offer indestructible diff units called "WAVETRACKS" n "S-TRAC". Gauranteed for life n suposedly very street friendly

https://www.moserengineering.com/WAVETRAC-Torque-biasing.dept

https://www.strangeengineering.net/...rac-helical-gear-differential-35-spline.html/
Thanks man, Moser is who I'm planning on buying my housing package from, not sure how I missed this wavetrack deal haha I'll check it out!

·
Registered
197 Posts
O dang so corvettes and hellcats cant drive on the street!?!?
Nor can some Camaros and some mustang's and all different kinds of chargers and challengers etc drive 25 miles to get a burger

You sound grateful. Good luck with your power, that you didn't give any specs on. But its none of my business, you only asked the public for free help.

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You sound grateful. Good luck with your power, that you didn't give any specs on. But its none of my business, you only asked the public for free help.
My question had nothing to do with what build is going on, i gave the needed info, I'm not going to list my favorite food with my question either since it's not needed.
Yes I did ask the public for free experience they've had with certain products, I did NOT ask for opinions on what can be done. Thanks for your helpful contribution, thought free help was a huge part of what this forum was for

·
Registered
197 Posts
My question had nothing to do with what build is going on, i gave the needed info, I'm not going to list my favorite food with my question either since it's not needed.
Yes I did ask the public for free experience they've had with certain products, I did NOT ask for opinions on what can be done. Thanks for your helpful contribution.

Anytime champ.

Forgot to tell you, just run open wheel.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Im running the WaveTrac set up, but have 0 miles experiance. Hopn to be shakn my build down very very soon. Moral of the story here, 600-700hp street cars that get driven are really becoming the norm. Just look up pro-touring forum n its builds, classifieds, etc. Luckily, the aftermarket has responded. And its lookn like the WaveTrac n S Trac are the best of options available right now for high hp builds.

P.s. OP, if you got 700hp nova, we would luv to hear details, bcuz it sounds awesome n we as a forum would love to know more. Just sayin...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im running the WaveTrac set up, but have 0 miles experiance. Hopn to be shakn my build down very very soon. Moral of the story here, 600-700hp street cars that get driven are really becoming the norm. Just look up pro-touring forum n its builds, classifieds, etc. Luckily, the aftermarket has responded. And its lookn like the WaveTrac n S Trac are the best of options available right now for high hp builds.

P.s. OP, if you got 700hp nova, we would luv to hear details, bcuz it sounds awesome n we as a forum would love to know more. Just sayin...
Thanks man! The s track sounds like a winner really!
The nova is just being disassembled now, only had the car a couple months. replacing all the needed panels to get it solid rust free metal and continuing on for however long it takes me to finish. If you would like to follow along the thread is titled my dream car build, started it a couple months ago when I got the car. It will take a long time to be complete as I am not just building a quick car, but one that will last for my children's children and be as show condition as possible, and as fully functional as I can keep it. The next couple purchases will have the rear axle assembly, then rear suspension, and hoping to fit the wheels in also but that's a tall order so we'll see.
I have a lot of body work to do now so definitely busy with the car

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I run a stock ford 8.8 limited slip. I rebuilt it and run carbon fiber clutch’s and a stiffer S spring. My 421 is around 618-625hp. I’ve had zero issues with it. Cuts a 1.5-1.499 sixty. Hasn’t slipped on me once yet...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
My engine is nowhere near the power level of yours, but I installed a Wavetrac in my 9" with 31-spline axles, and I have easily more than 10K miles on it. It has been flawless.

Since you have such a high powered engine, you might want to consider the 35-spline axle option. I haven't looked at the Wavetrac or Moser websites lately to see if they still offer it in a 35-spline configuration, but I can't imagine that they would discontinue it.

Gerry

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yup, WaveTrac n 35 spline axles good for 1k hp easily. They do have in 40 spline to iirc. Im 35 spline ford 9" also

Lifetime warranty, go ahead n whoop on it!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info guys, idk how I have been clueless about this helicore style wave n s track. I believe I will get the strange S track for 35 spline .
Thanks again for the info

1 - 20 of 41 Posts