Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a dumb question, but can anyone tell me the correct way the trunk weatherstripping is installed? does the top part of the trim face inward or outward. I have seen it installed both ways. Thanks

·
6,591 Posts
The lip will be towards the outside:

Also get some of the black weatherstrip adhesive to attach it into the channel and help with the seal between the bottom side of the weatherstrip and the metal channel.

I also had some nylon tools and a flat blade screwdriver to help install it as well as clean out the channel from the old weatherstrip and old glue:

The ends will need to be shortened and trimmed square with this being at the bottom by the center line of the trunk latch:

Also once the weatherstrip gets trimmed to length glue the ends together being careful not to apply too much glue (I used some trimmed off pieces and did a test before doing the one on the car).

On mine, which I will have to remove and redo, is I applied WAY too much glue into the channel and also to the backside of the weatherstrip and when I went to put it into the channel it stuck and I could not shift it hardly at all and it didn't sit right in some spots. My next time I will put the weatherstrip into the channel and then using the nozzle wedge it into the channel and under the weatherstrip and then slowly drag the nozzle in a direction to lay a bead in that area.

On mine the trunk lid was a lot harder to close initially but after some time the weatherstrip conformed and now it doesn't require near the force to close and latch the trunk lid.

Jim

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info and pictures. I'll try to be careful with the glue. I do remember how messy it can be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts