Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from this pic, my new trunk lock rod is much longer than the original. Also, the original is bent. I mocked up the new rod and it seems ok but sticks through the lock mechanism a good amount at the interior....no biggie.

The old BENT rod just makes it to the back end the lock mechanism, so it could work. The bent part is taken up a bit at the lock itself so it basically sits a bit cocked.

I want to use as many original components as possible. Each of these could work. Does anyone know if these rods are supposed to be bent? thanks.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Where did you get the new lock from? It's probably a "universal" kit designed to fit a number of applications. I'd either use the original rod (if it works with the new cylinder) or trim the new rod to the correct length.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. original rod is in. All it does is cause the lock cylinder to be slightly rotated. I don't care about that. What I do care about is that the lock was a pain to get in and does not really sit flush against the deck lid. Got the lock set from JW Nova. It seems pretty good quality and matches the original perfectly. I am not about to go doing body work to flatten this thing out and risk chipping the paint. Also, the small plastic washer/gasket really doesn't do much at all. Any alternatives here? I really don't want to gunk it up with some clear silicone.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ended up using a rubber O ring which I slipped around the lock after it was installed and it sealed it up very nicely. This lock was a pain to get in and I didn't want to risk chipping my paint. Also ended up using the original bent rod and everything works great with the exception of getting it to latch. I am thinking maybe its the new weatherstripping, being new and thick and all. Currently I have the lower latch assembly as high as it will go and still not grabbing. All the lines around the trunk look good and even.

I have a question about the lock retainer....I decided to reuse my original one which gets installed around the lock cylinder during installation, so that means it can't easily slip out once it's in, which it is. The retainer has a small curved portion and it seems to me that I should tap the retainer upward until the curved tab of the retainer seats against the lock cylinder. Is this correct? By doing this, the retainer will be up and in just about flush with the surface of the deck lid. I doesn't look right to have the retainer stick out a bit. There is also a small square tab on the retainer and I have no idea what it does. Any thoughts or pics would be appreciated. thanks. I can post pics of my setup if needbe.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the retainer up into position with the curved portion of the retainer up against the cylinder. It sticks out a bit from the deck lid but the lock is in there nice and tight. Not sure if it is supposed to protrude and also no idea what that little tab is for...the one towards the right side.

This is a used deck lid I got at the junkyard and it appears it may be a bit different than my original because in my bag of trunk lock stuff, I found this extra bracket and screw...Not sure if I need it or where it goes. Thanks for looking and the feedback.

O ring gasket worked out ok...

I found the adjustment procedure in the Fisher book so i'll give that a go tomorrow. It calls for the screw to somehow hold in the retainer but as you can see in the pic, a screw in that hole will go to nowhere....At this point, looking at the retainer, it doesn't seem complete and "finished"

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at some pics for original style retainers in Classic Industries (link below) it seems my retainer has a piece missing, like the flange was broken off at some point or something. oh well, either I'll leave it alone till she loosens up or perhaps just remove it and use the U shaped aftermarket style.

http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=productDetail&keyword=trunk%20lock%20retainer&productYearId=0&startRow=1&sortBy=1&sortOrder=1&resultsPerPage=10&currentPage=1&productId=92357&productSearchCatalogId=2

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no idea or can't remember, it's been so long! For some reason I think it was later than my 71 but not totally sure. I say this because the trunk latch that came with the deck lid seems to be the later style (it's somewhat opened up or exposed, if you will, not completely covered like mine) If you have a way to find out, I'd sure like to know.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have no idea or can't remember, it's been so long! For some reason I think it was later than my 71 but not totally sure. I say this because the trunk latch that came with the deck lid seems to be the later style (it's somewhat opened up or exposed, if you will, not completely covered like mine) If you have a way to find out, I'd sure like to know.
hi, i might be able to check on a 1970 car. can you re-freshen my memory on exactly what im checking or looking for again? is it the style of the latch in the lid? do u want a pic of the 70 lid?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My current latch (original from my 71 is this style:

http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=productDetail&keyword=trunk%20latch&productYearId=0&startRow=1&sortBy=1&sortOrder=1&resultsPerPage=10&currentPage=1&productId=70548&productSearchCatalogId=1

The one that came with the lid is like this....hard to see but the other side has the internals kind of exposed, if you will. I am not convinced CI has there years and applications totally correct so take it for what it is.

http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=productDetail&keyword=trunk%20latch&productYearId=0&startRow=1&sortBy=1&sortOrder=1&resultsPerPage=10&currentPage=1&productId=9659&productSearchCatalogId=1

At this point I think I figured this out on my own though I am welcome to any comments you may have. Basically, I have a retainer that's not 100% though its holding the lock fine for now. As far as adjustment, lateral is not a problem but it seems to me I can't get the latch down far enough to grab that box like piece in the trunk, which is as high as it can go. I've got some adjusting to do or may move onto another project and save this for a body guy friend who offered to comeand do all the alignments when I'm ready(front end, hood...and I'll have him do the trunk too)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts