Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fuel cell in my daily driven 64 nova. I also have no back seat. For safety and looks I want to put a barrier between the trunk and back seat area. I also have heard that when using a fuel cell you must have a divider in order to pass tech at a drag strip. I've been trying to find the rules about his but can't find them. What are the rules regarding this barrier? I was hoping to go with a sheet of aluminum pop riveted onto the metal framing that usually is behind the back seat. Then use a little caulk so that liquid and gas can't come through anywhere between the trunk and passenger area. Only problem is that I can't find any where that sells a sheet of aluminum big enough except one place but I'd have to buy a very large bulk piece for around $250 and have a bunch left over. Lowe's has peices big enough to cover half so I would have two pieces of metal instead of one. Would this still pass the nhra rules? Also does it matter that I have holes cut for speakers in the rear deck? They have speakers and the rear deck tray over them but no metal barrier. Thanks alot for any help, I am just trying to make this a safe daily driver that will also pass tech at the strip.

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
You definetly want to seal it off as completly as possible, in the unfortunate event that something goes terribly wrong. With that said, Mount all of your speakers and what not, then seal it between the cell and your other components.

Denis

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I just dragged this one up from the dead during a search. I just can't figure out where to buy a sheet of steel or aluminum from. I did find this place on line though, any thoughts?

http://www.quickshipmetals.com/alum...lloy-6061-t6---mill-finish----063--thick.html

Also, for the size of sheet that is needed to cover the rear seat divider and the package tray is there much weight savings between steel and aluminum?

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would contact any of your local metal places. Maybe try looking in the phone book. Places that sell metal poles and beams and fencing may have it. Shipping would be a killer from an online place.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shh: :shh:

actually.....I haven't installed it. I have not even bought metal yet. Other things came up and that project got pushed aside. I'll get to it eventaully..:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I bought a 4x8 piece of galvanized steel from a local duct work guy for $30 and used that. Covered it with cheap auto carpet.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
OK, define 'seal'...

Say I get a big sheet of metal, cut it to fit, and put it in. How do I mount it? Spot welds? Full welds? Are rivet holes OK? What do I do to seal the edges? What if I have to cut a hole around something? (Like the rear seat upright panel mounting bracket/hook thingies?)

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
OK, define 'seal'...

Say I get a big sheet of metal, cut it to fit, and put it in. How do I mount it? Spot welds? Full welds? Are rivet holes OK? What do I do to seal the edges? What if I have to cut a hole around something? (Like the rear seat upright panel mounting bracket/hook thingies?)
Take a flashlight and try to shine light through it. If you can see light, it's not sealed. Use seam sealer.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I use polished aluminum to "seal" off the trunk area. Cut inividual panels to fit the openings, and use RTV to mount them. When I'm done I peel off the plastic and have a mirror finish firewall. I think that the rule is not always interpeted correctly, the thin metal barrier is not intended to be blast proof, it is meant to seal off major contamination of the drivers compartment for minutes at most. It does not add any structural integrity and is not intended to. No matter how it is fastened, rivets, welding, adhesive, in the case of a severe roll over/impact it would lose some of its intended seal but it would still have some effect. One could install 1/4" titanium but ....

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
I can believe/understand why speakers would be A Bad Thing (they'd burn through right quick!), but I wasn't sure how picky they were about sealing the edges. RTV or seam sealer works for me, I just wanted to make sure it worked for the techs too... I suppose I could put a dab of sealer on the rivets if I went that way.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Thanks for the input.

After I called about 10 places listed on sheet metal, sign companies, and machine shops and got blown off by all, I just bought it from the online place I linked to. It was easy and they were happy to help me unlike everyone else locally.

I got a 58"X13" for the package tray and a 60"X17" for behind the rear seat. I'm gonna seal it at the edges as well as possible and rivet it in. I'm gonna cover the package tray piece with vinyl and I'm going to use some Dynamat on it too for fuel pump noise control. I'll post some pics when I start on it.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to hear the local places didn't help. Well it was worth a try I guess. Glad you got what you needed from the online place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts