Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all! Having water probs in the trunk. Locked my son in it the other day and we found a gap 'tween the upper rubber seal and the upper edge of the lid.
OK we found it, but what to do with it? I removed the deck and looked it over at the mounts. there appears to be NO adjustment for the finished height of the deck. When viewed from the side it is evident the forward edge of the lid is slightly above the fender line.
ANY input would be helpfull, Please. I'm in Florida and if it's not tight, I'll rust out the trunk. The body is perfect 0 rust anywhere, don't want to start now.

·
6,502 Posts
hello all! Having water probs in the trunk. Locked my son in it the other day and we found a gap 'tween the upper rubber seal and the upper edge of the lid.
OK we found it, but what to do with it? I removed the deck and looked it over at the mounts. there appears to be NO adjustment for the finished height of the deck. When viewed from the side it is evident the forward edge of the lid is slightly above the fender line.
ANY input would be helpfull, Please. I'm in Florida and if it's not tight, I'll rust out the trunk. The body is perfect 0 rust anywhere, don't want to start now.

I wonder if the trunk lid got flown open hard against the stops or limits and then slightly bent the hinges. Someone too might have pushed it open further than it should have been bending the hinges.

I have heard of people using shims or washers between the underside of the trunk lid and the topside of the hinge arms to get the desired results and some have placed washers or shims just on the two bolt spots closest to the rear glass or on the two furthest away and I may have read they used shims on all 4 bolt locations.

I wonder too, could the weatherstrip channel have been bent down and/or the weatherstrip is just shot ?. Maybe a few "up" taps with a rubber mallet will close the gap but this will still not address how the topside of the trunk lid fits against the quarters and rear glass but the fit might have been poor from the get go and you never noticed it ?.

While this might be a last resort and could cause more issues is you may be able to partially close the trunk and then between the bottom side of the hinge place wood blocking between the hinge and the trunk floor and then apply pressure on the trunk lid to bend the hinge slightly. How much pressure is required and how it would affect the alignment is a variable.

Jim

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you have or the use of a bottle jack. Put some grease on the weather strip. Close the trunk and then open it. Observe on the deck lid where there is no grease transferred. Place the bottle jack with a block of wood under those spots on the trunk lip and gently lift it up a little. Close the lid and repeat as necessary. Once you have a grease on the deck lid all the way around your leak should stop. Careful not to apply to much pressure to the weatherstrip channel.

·
5,132 Posts
use a foaming aerosol glass cleaner on the weatherstrip to check where it is touching the lid, much cleaner than grease.
Post some pics of the fit with it closed, bending the weatherstrip lip up at this time is only addressing the leak not the fit issue. Fixing the fit will likely fix the leak. If you bend the weatherstrip flange up it may bind when you try to get the fit right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts