Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous posts claim to LOWER the forward corners of the trunk lid that I should use a shim. Yesterday I installed an 1/8" shim under both of the hinge bolts and when I tried to closed the trunk the corner had been RAISED not lowered. I placed the shim between the hinge and the trunk lid.
What am I doing wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Trunk lid

Any shims on the trunk side of hinge will raise it. To lower a corner you have to make it fit by bending trunk or raising qutr. This should have been done before any paint work. You could try spring tenshion. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,916 Posts
Previous posts claim to LOWER the forward corners of the trunk lid that I should use a shim. Yesterday I installed an 1/8" shim under both of the hinge bolts and when I tried to closed the trunk the corner had been RAISED not lowered. I placed the shim between the hinge and the trunk lid.
What am I doing wrong? :confused:
I too was under the impression this was the proper way to adjust the trunk corners. Perhaps using shims on the front hole and not the rear may work? Just a thought.

·
5,142 Posts
In 30 years I don't think I have ever shimmed a deck lid unless I was making chicken salad out of chicken poo for a customer with no money to fix things right. With shims you loose full contact between the hinge and the lid, causing a weak area. Plus it looks bad.
What year car?
For a 3rd gen Nova, raise the deck lid and pull the front corner back to tweak the area by the hinge.
Post some pics, I have also had to "adjust" the hinges occasionally.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I corrected the "high" fit by hyper extending the deck lid. Open the trunk and push the lid open farther than it is intended to go and it will slighly bend the hing mounting area on the lid itself and hing to lower the hight of the lid. Sounds wrong but it worked on my car. I did it before I painted the car but I did not have to do any bodywork on the lid after the tweek. :yes:

·
5,142 Posts
I corrected the "high" fit by hyper extending the deck lid. Open the trunk and push the lid open farther than it is intended to go and it will slighly bend the hing mounting area on the lid itself and hing to lower the hight of the lid. Sounds wrong but it worked on my car. I did it before I painted the car but I did not have to do any bodywork on the lid after the tweek. :yes:
That was my next advice, but I always use a block of wood or a big socket to tweak the hinge.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
On 1st gens you can adjust the hinge mounts up and down probably 1/4". Loosen the 2 bolts that hold the hinge to the mounting bracket above the wheel tub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts