Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing Hot Rod to Hells cool NASCAR style tryck arm suspension installed on Camaro's. OKay i see it in magazines and we know how that works.
But It does looks real simple and I only read good things about them.

The real BIG BUT... has anyone doen it (especially 1st Gen) and what does it cost. Even though the parts list looks simple I will bet it's $3000 or more....

It looks like the ultimate for handling and that's where I will lose all of you BIG BLOCK Straight Line guys I am sure.

James:chev:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poopy=Engineer

Wow I cannot believe the fabrication for one man to undertake. BRAVE BRAVE BRAVE. If I was knee deep in money I would buy the Hot Rods to hell Package. BUT...ONLY after talking to someone who had installed it first. There has to be critical alignment process done here.

AND is there any weight and tire clearence advantage on our First gens. Okay I will call the HRTH guys and bug them. I still will probably never do this unless I get that big bonus at work and I can pry the money out of my Home Improvement Crazy Wifes hands.

Home Improvement ? Over Rated! But Car Parts?? Oh Yeah!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Truck Arm Suspension

I purchased a kit from Steve at Hot Rods to Hell for $1600. The kit is VERY complete and is supposed to be very simple to install.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I purchased a kit from Steve at Hot Rods to Hell for $1600. The kit is VERY complete and is supposed to be very simple to install.
Are the rear frame rails still used with this kit or are they still needed? Just wondering, seems like you could get go w/ a wider mimi tub if they aren't needed anymore.

Got any pics of your install yet?

Jimmy

·
Registered
209 Posts
The rear frame rail are still used for attaching the several cross-members: upper coil spring mount cross-member, and the upper shock mount cross-member.

The upper coil mounts pierce the trunk (large threaded rod). You can adjust your ride height by simply attaching a 1/2-drive ratchet and turning the rods (NASCAR-style).

One end of the upper shock mount cross-member also acts as the panhard bar mount. As I mentioned the kit is very complete.

I have not installed mine yet but have talked to several people who have. They said it was very staightforward and VERY EASY! I look forward to installing mine soon. I will gladly post picures then.

As fas as mini-tubbing: you can at least tub up to the rails. I, however, am investigating if I can move my rails inward (or install the CE rails) for fitting wider tires. The upper coil mount cross-memeber is easy to narrow. I need to learn more about the narrowing the panhard bar geometry though.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
syvNOVA said:
As fas as mini-tubbing: you can at least tub up to the rails. I, however, am investigating if I can move my rails inward (or install the CE rails) for fitting wider tires. The upper coil mount cross-memeber is easy to narrow. I need to learn more about the narrowing the panhard bar geometry though.
I remember the trailing arms coming all the way out under the frame rails of my 70 Chevy truck and the truck was wider than the car by a little!! You may have to look into how this angles out! Would hate to see you put alot of effort into tubbing and then have clearance issues with the trailing arms. Anybody interested in doin it the self fabrication way I got the stuff here for it. Would require a 12 bolt that would fit under my nova in exchange since I've been planning on cutting the truck 12 bolt down to put under my Nova.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Truck-Arm geometry is such that mini-tubbing works well. In fact, Hotrods-to-Hell even sells a mini-tubbing kit for early Novas. Check out their site at www.hotrodstohell.net. You can buy the suspension kit with or without the tubs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently bought a truck arm suspension kit from hot rods to hell. The kit seems pretty straight forward .The most important part of the install is setting the pinion angle.I would say it is moderate in difficulty to complete the install and make it come out right. The best part about it is that it comes complete and the directions have pictures to make things go a little smoother.

Kris

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I am looking at having a local race shop do a full frame and truck arm suspension for my 69 Nova. Lets see some pics please!

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Flyer, If gas wern't $3 a gallon and you wern't 3,000 miles away I would come take that off your hands for you.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
the Flyer said:
i have a truck arm suspension set up in my front yard... fact i have the whole TRUCK chassis ;)

maybe it's worth sumpin' :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Hey Flyer...where you at??? :D

Matt (Boost Mobile ;) )

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
ssdeuce said:
Flyer, If gas wern't $3 a gallon and you wern't 3,000 miles away I would come take that off your hands for you.
I've got the whole set up here if your interested. I'm sure we can work out something and I'm only between 500 and 600 miles away!:D

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Truck arm suspension

For what's it's worth.

I was in a truckstop in eastern Ohio the other day.
Hanging from the rafters in the resturant was a old Amish buggy.
I was sitting under this buggy and as I was looking at how it was built,I noticed that it had a trailing arm suspension,except for the spring set up,it look just like a standard truck arm suspension!
Check it out,looks like the Amish were the first to use RACING suspensions.
My 2 cents worth MIke

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the Amish, Shakers... i dunno i ferget the rest... they were and still are years ahead of their time... seems a little behind in lotsa ways, but years ahead in others.. my .01 ta go with yer .02 ;)

#3 Go Goodwrench Racing !!!

wearing my '98 Earnhardt hat ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts