Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me find the thread on truck arm suspension.

I can't get this one to work. fron the other thread.

Poopy's Truck Arm Suspension 1st Generation Nova

·
Registered
778 Posts
Luckily I had it on another message board.... heres some of it for now:

I've decided to try out building a truck arm rear suspension. I've read reviews on it and it seems to be the best bang for the buck handling package. I just started on this last week, so its a work in progress....here goes!

My floors were rusty, so I cut them out to get this project underway:

Here is my rear suspension donor, i got this whole piece and a 12bolt truck rear end for $100 CDN.

Here is the truck arm crossmember getting cut in half so it fit:

The crossmember with cut down mounts now welded on instead of riveted:

Mock up of the crossmember and subframe connectors, I've decided to go with 2x3 tube(its 2x2 in the pic) for the crossmember tube so I can drop it an inch lower and still have the 2x2 subframe connectors line up. Still to do is build a tub bridge over the driveshaft to tie the two sides together:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I got the cross member finished, its pretty beefy, I dont think it will break or bend :D

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get it installed, and the subframe connectors built and installed....

Made some good headway today, all the major frame parts are installed, most are fully welded and some still tacked, I had the rear end in and everything looks like its gonna work. Well... other than my pinion angle lol, I really goofed the measurement on that, this is why we only tack weld first!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
This is probably old news but here is the link for the company that is selling kits to convert to this set up.

Hot Rods To Hell

·
Registered
778 Posts
About 52" to 52.5" from axle center line to the center of the bolt on the crossmember. Hard to measure since they are under the car now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poopy
Do you have any detail pics of the rear suspension, on rear spring an shock setup, panard bar?
Are you running stock frame rails in the back?
How wide are the rear arm mounts on the rear end?
I'm looking to find out if the truck arm suspension will fit inside the stock frame rails. I want to run stock frame rails but mini tub.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I havent finished the spring/shock part, and just made the panhard setup yesterday. I'll go take some pics of what I have so far.

I am using the stock frame rails and a minitub, there are no problems I can see with this setup. The rear arm mounts that weld to the axle are 44" from outside to outside at their widest point.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes I have, I found that stuff after I did all mine though. Pretty expensive for the arms, but it would be nice to have new ones!

They also have the weight jacks for the coil springs too, but again I'll make my own as they are pretty simple.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
yeah i agree i love this setup and you are doin an awesome job bro...is there good aftermarket support for that rear your using...and BTW good job goin with the greasable heims:D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
This post has got me thinking! I have a frame from a 70 chevy truck with all the cross members, the trailing arms, all new poly bushings, a 12 bolt rear end, all brand new mounting hardware, only problem is the panhard bar is bent, but they can be bought new and would probably require an adjustable one anyway. Unfortunately I just about have my new floor pan welded in! :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Hey Poopy how about some progress pics? PLEASE! I am very interested in this setup for my 69 Nova. It came sooo close to the scrap yard but this has changed my mind. Thanks for the info. :beer:

OH and Mods please don't kill this thread I would like to hang on to it for a while :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts