Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Info : 62 Nova, Church boys rack , and Cpp mini kit {Lowers only}, Cpp disc brake kit.

Just got back from the Alignment shop and these were my readings. How do you adjust Caster?

Camber__Cross camber
L______________________R
-.25*_______.05* ________-.30*

Caster___Cross caster
+5.40_______+9.4________-3.80

Toe
1/16" L 1/16"

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
OMG! Did they even try to adjust the caster. You have to set that first, then camber, then toe. That's with any car. But those caster reading are way off. It looks like the alignment guy got into a hurry and set the car so it wouldn't chew tires, and didn't bother with the cars handling or road feel. I think you need a new alignment shop. I'd PM 67 Church and talk to Chuck directly.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Info : 62 Nova, Church boys rack , and Cpp mini kit {Lowers only}, Cpp disc brake kit.

Just got back from the Alignment shop and these were my readings. How do you adjust Caster?

Camber__Cross camber
L______________________R
-.25*_______.05* ________-.30*

Caster___Cross caster
+5.40_______+9.4________-3.80

Toe
1/16" L 1/16"
Fire your alignment guy if those numbers are accurate (which I doubt).

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Any chance he got the pos and neg mixed up on the caster numbers? Cause really, neg caster by that much doesnt make sense. I would be surprised if you could even push the caster that far neg. The upper arms would have to be bent!!!! But really, I dont see how he could have you leave his shop with those numbers. He would at least say its broke and I need to repair it. The numbers are WAY off. Im thinking he wrote down the wrong numbers (pos and neg symbols) JR

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
You most certainly have some type of number issue!!! With out looking at the numbers, did you drive the car? For this situation the rack is only going to adjust the toe.

You have a set of lower tubular arms that cpp has sold to a lot of people. I don't believe that this is a situation of mis marking the + or -, unless you really put some shim in the upper arms you are not going to get +5 degrees of caster out of these arms. You should be able to achieve the stock caster adjustment without any issue.

Let us know how it drove and double check with the technician that the numbers are the proper ones.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Somthing is wrong,the CPP lower arm will not allow that much caster adjustment.Like Chuck said maybe if you had a lock out kit on it before and someone has shimmed the upper arms.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to Dan from cpp and he said that it sounds like the upper arms are bent and that I would have to buy the tubular uppers to fix this. Anyway I drove the car home and it is pulling hard to the right. I would have just took the car back but it was pouring and i did not want to chance it (hail warnings) plus I was there for 3 hours and I was done.. So I will take it back today.

I dont see how he could have you leave his shop with those numbers. He would at least say its broke and I need to repair it. The numbers are WAY off. Im thinking he wrote down the wrong numbers (pos and neg symbols) JR
Today 12:37 AM
JR I will check this today
OMG! Did they even try to adjust the caster.
How do you adjust the caster on this car the tech at the shop wants to know?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I talked to Dan from cpp and he said that it sounds like the upper arms are bent and that I would have to buy the tubular uppers to fix this. Anyway I drove the car home and it is pulling hard to the right. I would have just took the car back but it was pouring and i did not want to chance it (hail warnings) plus I was there for 3 hours and I was done.. So I will take it back today.

How do you adjust the caster on this car the tech at the shop wants to know?
Before you assume the numbers are correct and you have bent UCA (not likely), I would take your car to a reputable alignment shop. If this guy does not know how to adjust caster with the CPP kit he is not qualified to do an alignment.

Caster is adjusted concurrently with camber using the LCA eccentrics.

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
I agree with Nogo............don't go buying a bunch of stuff. Get a second opinion from another shop, leave the fact that someone else may have done something wrong out of the conversation and let the new tech form his own opinion. You may just end up driving home happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts