Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The casting numbers on my engine are worn down to the point where the best I can do is guess what they are. It doesn't help that they are hidden by the alternator either haha.

I got these so far: 12L516959 and after that: T0930

Any ideas?

·
Registered
608 Posts
hello 70novafan, the #'s you are trying to i.d. are the assembly# & partial vin#. On the 1st #: 1=chevy,2=model year,L= production plant, 516959=I believe is the car prodution#. The 2nd# is your engines assembly date & suffix#. T= Tonawanda plant, 09=september,30=30th day. The suffix# would follow the T0930 & from the year shown it would probably be a 3 letter suffix I think. The suffix defines what vehicle. Such as truck or car,stick or automatic,etc.. Your casting #s are on the back, top of the engine where the bellhousing bolts to the engine. There will be a casting date & block casting #. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello 70novafan, the #'s you are trying to i.d. are the assembly# & partial vin#. On the 1st #: 1=chevy,2=model year,L= production plant, 516959=I believe is the car prodution#. The 2nd# is your engines assembly date & suffix#. T= Tonawanda plant, 09=september,30=30th day. The suffix# would follow the T0930 & from the year shown it would probably be a 3 letter suffix I think. The suffix defines what vehicle. Such as truck or car,stick or automatic,etc.. Your casting #s are on the back, top of the engine where the bellhousing bolts to the engine. There will be a casting date & block casting #. Hope this helps.
The thing is, there is no suffix number there. It's completely blank. There's not even the partial of one left, which completely puzzles me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is it a small block or a big block? Most of the small block date/code stamps start with "V", which is for the Flint plant. T is for Tonawanda, where most of the big blocks were built. I think some 327's were built at Tonawanda, and maybe a few others.

The 2 as the second digit in the partial VIN indicates either 1962 or 1972, if I remember right.

I guess we really need some casting numbers to ID it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think there's more letters under the alternator... at least there used to be.
I'm thinking you're right in the fact that there used to be letters there. I scrubbed as hard and as much as I could with a wire brush but nothing. Is there any other way to identify the size and origin of the engine? I was told it was a 350, but ya never know I guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Alright.. Sprayed my brush with some carb cleaner and after about half an hours worth of scrubbing I think I see some like "CK1" at the end. I'd take a picture but I guarantee it wouldn't show up in it.

EDIT: Could be "CKY" I can only see the base of the last digit.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Alright.. Sprayed my brush with some carb cleaner and after about half an hours worth of scrubbing I think I see some like "CK1" at the end. I'd take a picture but I guarantee it wouldn't show up in it.

EDIT: Could be "CKY" I can only see the base of the last digit.
CKY=if a 72 block its a LT1 corvette block, 4speed,4bbl
CKT=if a 72 block is LT1 z28 camaro th350
These depend upon the date code,post the date code to narrow it down to the year. Date code found on back as in above picture.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's a '72, as shown above, so...

NICE!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Looks like you might have an LT-1! It should have forged pistons, 4-bolt mains, a healthy cam, and 2.02/1.60 valves, if it's still stock. Frankly, I'd post some ads on the Corvette and Camaro sites to try to reunite it with its original car, since it's a valuable option, and then I'd build a 383 or a 406.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CKY=if a 72 block its a LT1 corvette block, 4speed,4bbl
CFT=if a 72 block is LT1 z28 camaro th350
These depend upon the date code,post the date code to narrow it down to the year. Date code found on back as in above picture.
Im guessing the date code isn't easily visible while the engine is in the car? Sorry for all the questions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts