Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that almost every picture I see of a 1968 Nova does not have trim along the sides of the car, yet mine does. Didn't all '68 Novas come with side trim? Is it just popular to remove it or what?

·
13,713 Posts
An Exterior Decor option and Custom Exterior Decor option were available that provided various chrome trim formats. If a car had neither of these two options there would be no chrome mouldings. Many cars with exterior decor options have had the trim removed over the years, too.

Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An Exterior Decor option and Custom Exterior Decor option were available that provided various chrome trim formats. If a car had neither of these two options there would be no chrome mouldings. Many cars with exterior decor options have had the trim removed over the years, too.

Bob
Yep, I see references to trim package options, I didn't see it as part of the cowl tag, but I'll double check. They're attached with rusted nuts so I'll bet they are a pain to remove and the car looks good without them. One more reason to choose modified over original I guess.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Yep, I see references to trim package options, I didn't see it as part of the cowl tag, but I'll double check. They're attached with rusted nuts so I'll bet they are a pain to remove and the car looks good without them. One more reason to choose modified over original I guess.
If they are in decent shape, you might be able to sell them. Like mentioned above, the body side moldings on a 68 were different than 69-72 and they might be valuable to the right person.

Personally, most 68-72s Ive seen look better without it, but there are a few that look good with it, depends on wheels, color, vinyl top or not etc.

I would think the pieces have nuts on each end and plastic clips on the rest... 69-72's do... but who knows on a 68, they are so unique.

andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine had plenty of dents so I just scrapped them. They were attached with speed nuts on the front fenders and riveted along the rest of the body.

Now I need to replace the hood lip trim because it is dented. Anybody have a good spare?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I would keep it on, it would make it unique...

With people removing it, you wont see as many on the road with it on....Which is cool :D

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I would keep it on, it would make it unique...

With people removing it, you wont see as many on the road with it on....Which is cool :D
I have had them both ways. I would leave it if it were mine, especially being a 68. Any place that is welded needs to be finished on the backside with some paint or undercoating. If not,one day it will start to rust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts