Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had the metal trim but we got rid of it. Whats the best way to fill those little holes on the sides of the car? Just curious of how some of you guys did it.

Thanks,
DuDe

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I think the best way to do it is to weld the holes and grind them down, but many people like me cant weld so I used "Kitty Hair" to fill the holes. Its kinda tricky at first to do but it works better then Bondo (Bondo leaves little rings around the hole you fill and thay will eventually fall out). I have herd of people using "Liquid Nails" but idunno how well it will work. Good luck

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
4door64 said:
I think the best way to do it is to weld the holes and grind them down, but many people like me cant weld so I used "Kitty Hair" to fill the holes. ..... I have herd of people using "Liquid Nails" but idunno how well it will work. Good luck

liquid nails, ah, another use for the glue holds the world together. almost as good as duct tape................

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have used fiberglas mat to cover them with no problems. Like Kitty Hair but drys with no porosity at all. RM

·
6,497 Posts
I too would weld them up. Even if you don't have a welder, prep the area around the hole (frontside, backside and inside the hole) to where if someone does it for you all they have to do is hook up the ground wire off of the welder to the panel you are wanting the holes welded shut, do some welding and that's done. You can then take it back and grind the welds down and continue on the body work.
Depending on how good the welding is done you may want to grind them down right after they are welded to make sure you don't have any pin holes in the welds so it wouldn't have to be taken back for any touch-ups.

Here's a shot of a hole I filled on a relations car. The biggest time was spent prepping the area and woring the area after the welding was done.

http://hometown.aol.com/krystaldesigns/DartPage2.html

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
If you have them MIG or TIG welded by someone thats good. You shold be ble to use a file and when they are done and not even need filler in them. Thats what I did on mine years ago.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Trim holes

DuDe I cut some small pieces of metal and placed them on the backside of the panels at each hole,welded them up, then ground them flush.worked fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I welded the trim holes in my doors. I have not primed the doors yet. I have a few pics. of the doors after I welded the holes. Pics. are in my sig. The trick is not to generate a lot of heat. I would make two spot welds per hold and go to another hole to keep the heat down. You can also cool the welded area with a damp towel. Make sure to prep both sides of the area to be welded. Making sure you have removed all pant or coatings around the weld areas. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts