Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK guys, I give up. It appears Trick Flow is going or has gone out of business. I've been all over their website and
everything I see is "Only a few left, order soon" or None in stock and the big website stores are showing none or
only a few left in stock. Even the Speedway 461 heads are not available or only a few bare 461 heads are left in stock.
I went to Summit and only a few left in stock, order soon of all their TF heads. JEGs doesn't carry them. Even stores
on eBay are saying estimated shipping in middle to late December. One website said estimated shipping March 2022.

So, something is going on with Trick Flow and Summit. Anybody heard anything??
Sam

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
OK guys, I give up. It appears Trick Flow is going or has gone out of business. I've been all over their website and
everything I see is "Only a few left, order soon" or None in stock and the big website stores are showing none or
only a few left in stock. Even the Speedway 461 heads are not available or only a few bare 461 heads are left in stock.
I went to Summit and only a few left in stock, order soon of all their TF heads. JEGs doesn't carry them. Even stores
on eBay are saying estimated shipping in middle to late December. One website said estimated shipping March 2022.

So, something is going on with Trick Flow and Summit. Anybody heard anything??
Sam
Sam, pretty much everything is out of stock these days. I just received a new fuel tank from Aeromotive I ordered in March and got it Monday afternoon. I have a pair of heads I ordered from Speedway early Sept that are now slated for delivery in February... so... I guess we're playing the long game here for most parts unless you can find them local. It totally sucks for us who have projects being held up. It's not just from the Covid but also from the idiotic tariffs placed on the imported goods our vendors have to pay to get them out of hock... and into their stock. Just remember where those tariffs came from when you vote... Unless you like paying 1/3 more for parts and waiting for 6-10 months for them to show up... if their quality is even any good.... Go find a set of decent flat-tappet lifters somewhere and you'll be my hero! :p

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I understand. We've got ships sitting on the water off shore of California and offshore Savannah Georgia and
they can't get the goods ashore because there are no workers in the ports. What the Hey????

Well, it's looks like I'm dead in the water on my engine rebuild. I was hoping to get a set of heads here so that
the machine shop could tell me what pistons I'll need. I'm right on the verge of putting my 186 cast iron heads
on and buy a hundred cases of ZDDP bottles and five gallons of whatever oil I'll need for a rebuild before they
are no longer available.

To be honest, these TF heads that I was looking at were starting to look like they would be more trouble than they
are worth just to get the double humps on the front. I'm thinking now they had to much TRICK to them for me to
bother with.

I just looked on ebay again and there are still a few suppliers that say they have maybe five in stock. So, I looked
at all the TF heads they supposedly have and saw that with some they had three and some they say they have five.
Now, I'm a little leery of those figures with a shipping date two months out. At this point I'm concerned that TF might
not recover and I don't want to be stuck with a set of heads that couldn't be supported if I have a problem. I'm looking
but in reality I'm not sure what I really need to be looking for anyway.
Sam

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well that stinks, it was great to just have everything done at the same place by two of the best at their craft.
Yeah, it used to be easy. I called scott and talked to him about the heads, and then Chris set up a cam based on the flow numbers. Scott has a facebook page under foxwell motorsports. He is working out of a machine shop now doing his same stuff. And Chris used to have those package deals on heads that Scott would go through before they left. Now I'm not sure what I'll do. I had Scott do my Dart 355 heads for my engines, and Chris ground the cams for it. Then I bought a set of the Promaxx 317 heads that Scott went through and Chris made the cam for that for a customer of mine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nothing good for the people... That's for certain. UGH! Hope things get better soon... (y)
To quote Patrick Swayze's character Dalton in "Road House"..."it's gonna get worse before it gets better".

Supply chain and manufacturing break-down everywhere right now, covid fallout

Trick Flow is not the only block or head manufacturer feeling the pinch....along with camshafts, lifter, and a lot of things.
Even companies that can get the raw materials in the door are dealing with a 60 or 70% capacity work force....too many government handouts seems to have spoiled them.

i work for a company that does brake rotor casting....we can't get people to stay on the job, a revolving door when they come in and find out they have to do real work and poof, gone the next day or they don't come back next week. Even with good pay and a start bonus incentive.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I know what you mean. The company my wife works for can't find workers. As long as they are paid
to stay home that is what they will do. We are in serious trouble with our country now. I don't know if
we'll be able to survive this. It's sad that we have come to this!

FYI, I gave up on the Trick Flow heads and moved on to a set of Dart DRT-127121 heads which will
accommodate my original GM valve train parts. I won't have the double humps but at this point
these are way better than nothing.

I have a question. I've put together a text soliciting help to get my engine back together. I want to
post it in the drivetrain forum. Would you consider reading it and helping me get what I need?
I'm in serious need of help for information as you guys have knowledge about designing an
engine that I don't have. Even with all the stuff about the Trick Flow heads, I didn't know what I
really needed.

I'm hoping you, Bracketchv70 and StrokerAce will be able to help me through this rebuild.

Thanks for any consideration,
Sam

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just got an email from JEGS. The Dart heads order has been back ordered! :mad:
Waited all this time to buy Aluminum heads and now this....... Just my luck!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Interesting information, I have had a couple small blocks built by an old school machinist. the last one is the one my 1963 hardtop an original RPO L-79 327 an early take out from 1974. I had it completely gone through a few years back I had built to 1966 specs. I used all forged rotating assy. balanced from dampener to pressure plate. I stayed with the original 461 heads I had the blended and cleaned up without porting also had USA made screw in studs and guide plates installed and nice set of stainless valves. Crane chromoly rockers and push rods with new old stock GM #151 camshaft. the intake is the factory #490 Winters aluminum intake, carb is the factory Holley 585 cfm I had the carb blueprinted with all new old stock Holley parts. I put a Pertronix solid state in the 1111154 distributor. I have only run 110 Trick fuel in since first fired. I was fortunate to obtain USA made parts and to have complete unmolested engine to start with. the machinist who put this engine together had enhanced engines for 40 plus years. this engine was expensive to build but well worth it performance is exceptional. my advice to anyone is find a reputable machinist and by top end internals. if I was smart I would put flat top pistons instead domed pistons in pump gas is less expensive than Trick fuel.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts