Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...OK...I think they look cool and not just on Goats!:rolleyes:

Has anyone had any experience in putting a 6-Pac on a Nova? It looks like Chevy used them in the late 50s and maybe Caddy too. I found a tri-power manifold at Summit along with some 2 bbl carbs that look about the right size. Beyond that I am clueless (big surprise!! ;).

I'm putting together an LT1-based 383 with mostly street driving in mind.

Suggestions...and dope slaps...welcomed:eek:

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Other than the 348 engine GM usually used dual quads in the 50s and 60s. They did use tri power on a 427 BBC in a vette for a couple years in the mid 60s. A six pack was a term Mopar used for their tri powered engines. Ford called theirs a 6 barrel in the early 60s. Three two barrel carbs were called tri power in the day by most of us. Lots of the old gassers used 6 two barrel carbs in their hay day. No help but a little history lesson for you anyway. RM

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good history, though! ;) Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew, but they do look cool. Back in the day I had a TR3-B and seemed to spend every Saturday morning trying to balance those SUs.

I'd have to say that coming up with the linkage may be the hardest part.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I had a 3 deuces on my '57 Chevy many years ago. With progressive linkage, they work very much like a 4 barrel with mechanical secondaries. Also supposed to have better fuel distribution. Other than fuel injection, you can't beat them for wow factor. I only paid about $100 for the whole setup, course that was about 30 some years ago. Ran great on my shoebox.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
From what I've heard they can be a bear to set up. They use a progressive style linkage. The middle carb is the cruising carb and then the other two come open as you lay the hammer down. I've also heard of people really cranking back when the outer two carbs come in to save on fuel. It might work since My father has a single 2-barrel on his 283 in a 63 Impala SS convertable and he is getting 20 miles to the gallon with a 2-speed power glide tranny. With the single two barrel the car bogs down going up the big hills, but with the price of gas he thinks it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
They are not that hard to set up at all. Initial adjustments are on the center carb with the end two closed. You simply need to make sure the end carbs open at the same rate. The adjustment is in the linkage. They used to sell a synchronizaion tool to make sure they were all flowing the same amount but I would think that would be more cirtical on non-progressive linkage.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yeah that 6pack is a nice set-up But i likes me 12 pack even better when it comes to the WOW OMfliping god He has a 12 pack :D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts