Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. i've got big plans to swap in a tremec tko-500 into my nova which is currently a T350 auto. i would like to get a used gm tko-500 tranny if possible for the swap but im figuring its gonna be awhile before one comes up. if anyone has any leads or suggestions in finding one your help would be much appreciated! also if you find more than just the transmission for sale like a kit that will help too :cool:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i wish you posted this a few months ago. i completely went through my 500 to make it stronger than a 600 (now will take 800ft/lbs). I'd have much rather sold it and started with a new transmission.

your best bet is to order up the kit. these transmissions are too new to be easily found used for a gm application. it's not cheap, but super fun. and for the difference in price i suggest going with the 600 model. do you plan on drag racing? if so you'll need to make some decisions on how much you wanna race and what compromises you want to make. i raced my 500 in a low 11 second car for a few years, but that was the absolute limit of the transmission. shifting was interesting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wish you posted this a few months ago. i completely went through my 500 to make it stronger than a 600 (now will take 800ft/lbs). I'd have much rather sold it and started with a new transmission.

your best bet is to order up the kit. these transmissions are too new to be easily found used for a gm application. it's not cheap, but super fun. and for the difference in price i suggest going with the 600 model. do you plan on drag racing? if so you'll need to make some decisions on how much you wanna race and what compromises you want to make. i raced my 500 in a low 11 second car for a few years, but that was the absolute limit of the transmission. shifting was interesting.

thanks for the input, i believe you could probably give me some good advice. i plan on getting the 500 for a daily driving application but along the way it will most likely see some track time. ive also heard when shifting quickly into third it is either difficult or noisy...what do you suggest?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The new transmissions are supposed to have that 3rd gear problem fixed. Mine never really had a problem, but I had some bellhousing runout issues that somehow destroyed my pilot bearing and allowed some freeplay. If you buy new from one of the vendors most likely you'll be fine with shifting into 3rd. Honestly the biggest problem with the transmission for drag race application is having the synchros. If you change those to the faceplates then you start having problems with regular easy up and down shifting.

One thing is almost for certain: You can't powershift a synchro'd TKO. The synchros screw stuff up under wot shifts. With the faceplates it's easier to shift at wot then it is just cruising around town. If you're less than 75% strip I wouldn't even consider doing the faceplate. Too much money, too funny sounding, and nobody but you can drive your car. It takes a small learning curve, and if someone doesn't know what they're doing you'll cringe at the sound. I still cringe at the sound.

Read up more about faceplating under the "TTC" link (I think) at this site

www.libertysgears.com

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
You will have an easier time finding a used T-56 than a TKO. I see them every now and then on ebay, but they usually go for 1500 or more if they are in good shape.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A T-56 will have issues with a bench seat. As is the shifter needs to be installed in the forward position on the TKO with a bench.

A new kit is really the best way to go, especially coming from an auto. Everything from the cross member, speedo cable with correct gear, to a new driveshaft can be included in some of the kits.

I went from a 4 to a 5 so I didn't need to buy everything, but having a kit made it pretty much a drop in affair. I basically pulled the motor, swapped the trans, cut the hole and dropped it all back in again.
http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk226/MattsRat/TKO600/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A T-56 will have issues with a bench seat. As is the shifter needs to be installed in the forward position on the TKO with a bench.

A new kit is really the best way to go, especially coming from an auto. Everything from the cross member, speedo cable with correct gear, to a new driveshaft can be included in some of the kits.

I went from a 4 to a 5 so I didn't need to buy everything, but having a kit made it pretty much a drop in affair. I basically pulled the motor, swapped the trans, cut the hole and dropped it all back in again.

:D what you did is exactly what im going for but ive got a few questions for you. what substance did you use to seal around the cutout where the tranny was inserted with the floor? and did you use a sound dampening material on the floor or is that serving a different purpose?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
if you're worried about sound dampening I'm assuming this is going to be a street car. get a basic kit from one of the vendors and you're sure to be happy. I think the new issue of CHP or HRM has what you're looking for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check out this website. They've got entire complete kits. I've been researching to do the same to my 70 but cant pull the trigger (yet.....)

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/

There another company called Keisler that does the same. My brother ordered a kit from them more than a year ago (67 firebird) and had trouble getting all the parts he ordered in a timely manner. I've heard others have had problems with them as well

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used a seam sealer that I found at home depot, I believe it was DAP something. The sound deadener I found at Pep Boys. It makes a huge difference on the highway rather than having the carpet directly on the floor and is no where near as heavy as dynomat.

My kit also came from Classic.

if you're worried about sound dampening I'm assuming this is going to be a street car.
Isn't the whole idea behind a 5 speed to be able to cruise comfortably on the highway? :yes:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Isn't the whole idea behind a 5 speed to be able to cruise comfortably on the highway? :yes:
yes and sorta. i cruise to the track in a very low 11 second car 100 miles round trip. on top of that i knock down 15mpg or so on the fwy. being able to cruise at speed on the fwy, regardless of use of vehicle, is the purpose of a 5 speed to me. It was nice when the car was a DD and had a milder motor going low 12's. Then it morphed into a monster. the goal now is to be able to drive to and from the track in a low 9 second car and still get about the same gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts

If you are going new, the T56-Magnum's shifter is slightly 1 inch foward of the Muncie shifter and it has the mid shifter option. Best of all it has a 2.66 first and .63 6th gear. Keisler Auto has complete kits and mounting plates for SBC and BBC engines

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wow that looks like a tight fit-isn't it going to rub the floor when the torque is on? Is the T56 Magnum? tougher than a TKO-600? I've been eyeing up a Lenco ST1200

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Wow that looks like a tight fit-isn't it going to rub the floor when the torque is on? Is the T56 Magnum? tougher than a TKO-600? I've been eyeing up a Lenco ST1200
It's tight at the top. The bolts that hold the shifter and mid plate in are what actually hit the tunnel. I'm switching to a small bolt head for the mid shift plate which should prevent the need to cut that part out (too late for me though.) I will raise the tunnel around the shifter about 1/2 inch and about 3/4 inch in the front. there is lots of room on the sides. A TKO actually requires more cutting and sits higher in the tunnel.

edit: The big hole on the side is my attemp to clean up the big hole the previous owner made for the 4 speed shifter. It will be welded up to match the original contour. The transmission is rated at 700 Ft/lbs torque and 700 HP. It's a beast that I shouldn't be able to break.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts