Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after putting about 500 local miles on the new big block and Tremec.....I drove to a car show yesterday, about 50 miles one way.
It was the maiden voyage for the tranny and engine.
After several small issues I was a little apprehensive but car performed outstanding.
Temp never got above 180, oil pressure held at 64 lbs, volts at a steady 14 and the Tremec was outstanding :D
I drove about 70 miles per hour and pulled about 2200 rpms.......what a difference from last year when I made the same trip........pulling about 3200 rpms. Hell, I probably got 12 miles per gallon :D
Seriously though, if you're considering the Tremec setup, it is well worth the coinage.....I lit 'em up pretty good leaving the show (egged on by some local Harley guys :D )
Cars is pretty much finished........what do I do now:confused:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fatcat said:
Now? Now take it to the track, bolt on the slicks, open the headers, bring it up to about 5500, and let er buck, let us know how it does.
Yeah.....Gateway is on the agenda.........I am curious to see what it can do in the quarter. Last piece of the puzzle.

·
Registered
710 Posts
americangraffiti said:
I drove about 70 miles per hour and pulled about 2200 rpms
What rearend gear ratio are you running, and do you have the .64 (TKO500) or .68 (TKO600) ratio 5th gear?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JTW said:
What rearend gear ratio are you running, and do you have the .64 (TKO500) or .68 (TKO600) ratio 5th gear?
JT........I'm running 3.73 rear gears w/235-15 tires. I've got the TKO 600.
I tell ya.....if you're running a four speed (and have the change in your pocket) that Tremec setup is fantastic. Not having that motor screaming at me on those trips is a great change of pace.
Don't remember how we did it back in the '60's, running a 4 speed and 4.56 gears.......guess we had other things on our mind:D

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
americangraffiti said:
.......what do I do now:confused:
Now you can start channeling the money you'd normally spend each month on YOUR car, and donate it to the UPCCA (Unemployed Post-College Car Addict) fund. So less fortunate people can finish their cars :)

I'll send you the paypal account when you're ready!:D

·
Registered
710 Posts
americangraffiti said:
JT........I'm running 3.73 rear gears w/235-15 tires. I've got the TKO 600.
I tell ya.....if you're running a four speed (and have the change in your pocket) that Tremec setup is fantastic. Not having that motor screaming at me on those trips is a great change of pace.
Don't remember how we did it back in the '60's, running a 4 speed and 4.56 gears.......guess we had other things on our mind:D
Yeah I absolutely can't wait. I got the TKO600 too, but no motor in the car yet to try it out. I should have the motor back in about 3 more weeks, just waiting in line for the dyno. I just crunched the numbers again and figured out that my car should only turn 1979 rpm at 70mph with 3.42 gears and 255/45/17 tires. :) Plus, first gear will be lower too so it's the best of both worlds.

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/RPM_calculator.swf

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
That sounds so cool! Maybe I should visit my daughter who lives in SL!!:)

Dave

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NovaNate said:
Now you can start channeling the money you'd normally spend each month on YOUR car, and donate it to the UPCCA (Unemployed Post-College Car Addict) fund. So less fortunate people can finish their cars :)

I'll send you the paypal account when you're ready!:D
Hey Nate.......is this an IRS approved deduction :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JTW said:
Yeah I absolutely can't wait. I got the TKO600 too, but no motor in the car yet to try it out. I should have the motor back in about 3 more weeks, just waiting in line for the dyno. I just crunched the numbers again and figured out that my car should only turn 1979 rpm at 70mph with 3.42 gears and 255/45/17 tires. :) Plus, first gear will be lower too so it's the best of both worlds.

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/RPM_calculator.swf
Yeah, that first gear is pretty stout so you're not giving anything up there.
It's just one amazing tranny.....best of both worlds.
Let me know when you get in installed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My TKO-600 Tremec has been in since June 2004, getting to be 2 years now, and I still get less than 10MPG in the city, I wonder why???
It sure is nice on the HWY. I babied a full tank though on the HWY, and managed to get 25MPG. Normal HWY is 21MPG, with the air on.

I told my wife 2 years ago, that we will eventually get a payback with all the gas we save.
Should see the payback sometime in the year 2050:)
I'll be 99 years old by then.
Best mod I ever did to the car was the TKO.
I went through 2 ST10's before putting this in, so that tells you I am hard on gears.
Mind you 440 ish TQ at the wheels does tend to be hard on running gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts