Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
You will need to modify the tunnel to clear the trans tailhousing shifter area @ minimum. Some of it will depend on which Tremec transmission you use as the dimensions vary somewhat.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You are gonna have to do mods with both of them. More so with the 6 speed than with the 5 speed. I spoke with Paul at American Powertrain at great length before I finally ordered my TKO600 5 speed. I was getting ready to replace the entire floor any way. My 5 speed is hooked up to a set of 4.10 gears and I absolutely LOVE it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
One day... i will have a tremec. :pray:

From what ive read on the subject, you'll for sure, need to cut the tunnel. You can buy an entire kit that includes the proper crossmember, driveshaft, and i think an adapter plate to get it to hook up to your engine.

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Hey Flyer,
Looks like the link does not work any longer. Do you have another reference to the information? I am interested in converting from a 700 to a 4 or 5 speed in my 63 SS with the factory hump. I would like to use the factory console if possible. I will have to change the shift plate out for something else but that is easier. For now, I am trying to collect some information for the swap.

thanks for your help.

cale

·
Registered
394 Posts
As an option you can heat and stretch the metal in the areas that would normally be cut away and replaced. I did this last yr on a 65 and installed a Tremec 5 spd from Keisler Engineering. I also had the shifter relocated by them to the original position for the console.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I got my set up from American Powertrain (http://americanpowertrain.com/). Might want to give them a shout at 931-646-4836. Ask for Paul, he was super helpful in putting together what I needed. I bought the entire kit from the thrust bearing to the rear U-Joint.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts