Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a question guys,i brought a 1962 chevy 2 100 home thats been sittn a couple of years.i have it up on jack stands and when it starts in park the right wheel is in reverse.when i star it in neutral it spins in forward,i have adjusted the linkage on the steering collum but its still doin it.can the tourque converter be doing it somehow? any help

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
When a automatic transmission is in Park, the drive shaft will not move.

Based on what you have shared, the column shifter is not operating the transmission linkage correctly.

Do Not Drive the car until you identify where the problem is and correct it.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Not sure if it has a rear pump like some powerglides have. It seems like I remember when starting one of my cars with a powerglide that I could feel it kick like it was in reverse but it was in park and wouldn't roll anywhere. I know my trans. worked good. I could only feel this when starting my car(past cars from many years back -23 T bucket, 70 Nova w/powerglides.)

See what it does with the wheels on the ground while holding brakes on of course. Let off the brakes and see if it moves any when in park, making sure it will not roll forward on an incline to verify park works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have it up on jackstands so its not goin anywhere.yes it should not go into gear when in park.but in park it goes into reverse.i cut if off and put it in neutral and start it and it is in foward gear.ive been under it and iseems like the linkage is moving it all the way foward and all the way back.i was just wondering if it can stick like a flywheel will when it sits for a while.thanks

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
As already mentioned, make sure when it is in what you believe to be park that the driveshaft will not rotate. If it does, you're not in park OR something else is wrong. 2 things come to mind......
#1 is the linkage. Romove the arm from the transmission end. Rotate the lever back and forth and you will be able to tell when you put it into park by the solid click it will make when the park-pawl engages. Then try to move the driveshaft. If it won't turn, the problem is your linkage. If it does turn, #2 problem becomes #1. (#2 by the way means an internal problem in the transmission like maybe that park-pawl is broken or not engaged.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As already mentioned, make sure when it is in what you believe to be park that the driveshaft will not rotate. If it does, you're not in park OR something else is wrong. 2 things come to mind......
#1 is the linkage. Romove the arm from the transmission end. Rotate the lever back and forth and you will be able to tell when you put it into park by the solid click it will make when the park-pawl engages. Then try to move the driveshaft. If it won't turn, the problem is your linkage. If it does turn, #2 problem becomes #1. (#2 by the way means an internal problem in the transmission like maybe that park-pawl is broken or not engaged.)
thanx man,hadnt thought of that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts