Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first post. I have been following along and reading on this great forum. I had first found out about it from Car Craft when they were making the disco nova. I had to make a new account because the old one would not let me post.

Anyhow I have a 74 nova 2 door with TH 350 tranny. I have been having problems with the shifting in the transmission. When I bought this car I drove it in the freeway and around town and had no problems .Since then I pulled it out from the car to drop into another along with the engine. I ended up selling the other car so I kept my engine and transmission and put them back in. It was sitting for almost a year when I finally got the rest of the car buttoned up I tried to drive it, when the problem strarted. Linkage has been checked, kick down cable. I was having a lot of tranny fluid leaking from the right side of the tranny from the gasket. So I thought this would be a good place to start. I bought the gasket and filter kit. Well yesterday when I unbolted the pan I slid it out and poured the oil in the container, the oil had glitter (metal shavings) and at the bottom was a little metal clip. I don't know what it is. I looked in Chilton's and could not find it. I want to know what it is, can it be put back in from underneath the car where the transmission currently is or do I have to take it out and tear it apart? I thought about taking the lil part to a transmission shop. But I could hear it already.."bring it in and we'll take a look at it". In other words I don't trust them.

Anyhelp or advice is appreciated thank you.

·
3,875 Posts
That is the anti-clunk spring located in the low/reverse roller clutch assembly. Time for a tear down and replace it with a case saver. If you run it without the anti-clunk spring it will eventually destroy the case.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

So the transmission has to come out? What purpose does the case saver do. Thanks for responding.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Well it saves the case of course! I don't know I have a 400 and it doesn't have anything like that in it. But it sounds like 72VenturaII knows.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
That is the anti-clunk spring located in the low/reverse roller clutch assembly. Time for a tear down and replace it with a case saver. If you run it without the anti-clunk spring it will eventually destroy the case.
yep thats what it is ^^^^ and thats exactly what it will do. ...... there are lugs in the case that hold the low/reverse roller-clutch support thats where that came from you need to tear the trans apart and see how bad the lugs are if there not to bad you can use a "case saver" which replaces the " anti clunk spring" but if the lugs are gone then the case is no good and the low/reverse support will fret, or beat out the case, eventually destroying the case

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
also the metal shavings are normal if there was more than a teaspoon full of it than i would say its time for a total rebuild. seeing your anti clunk spring is not a good sign but i have my fingers crossed for you :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
This is correct. Trans wont last to long with out this piece. Question is how it got loose and ended up in the pan!! The trans will have to come out and be taken apart. Hopefully there is no damage to the casing or the plate which that spring locks in place.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Well thanks guys. Now I know where I stand. Sounds like it's time for a replacement. I really appreciate the feed back thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts