Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a spot of gear oil under my tail shaft:mad:...Whats the deal with changing out the seal...Is it something that can be done with ease ???:confused:...I can kick myself for not changing it when I installed the trans...It's a sag 4 speed..can it be done with just taking out the driveshaft ??:confused:....:cool:....Old cars.....It's a love hate..:devil: I wouldn't have it any other way..:D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You can change the seal easily with the trans in the car-no big deal. Also inspect the driveshaft yoke for wear-grooves. If the new seal doesn't clear up the problem then you probably have yoke problems or the bushing in the tailshaft housing is worn out-bigger job.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the craziest thing.:turn:...I spotted the leak when my wife and I went to a car show. The show was about 10 miles away...Then when we went home..about 2 1/2 hours later...I drove it somewhat harder down a fourlane back road.:devil:....Got home....No Leak....whats up with these oldies anyway ?..It also looks like my little oil leak from the rear of my oil pan has cleared up ...I can either count my blessings or tare it down anyway.:no:...:(

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...A few different things I have to say....as for the spot of gear oil...I was having some issues with my shifter not going into third from second..It's a new hurst comp+. So I lifted the car to check on things...Found out the bolts on the tranny were all loose.:eek::eek::eek::eek:...Gear oil was coming from there...:mad:..I tightened them all up and Whalah.:yes:..everything's working much better,Shifts great.:yes:,,No leaks now.:no:...Now If you've read this far...Should I use lock washers on the tranny linkage bolts, to make sure they don't come loose again ????...

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have to install studs then...I'm going to watch it very close to see if I tightened them down enough...I didn't want to torque them not knowing if they were grade 8's or not..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts