Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little advice from the guru's of SNS. I found a guy selling a 2004r built by Bowtie Transmissions and it's their stage 2 build so it would be perfect for my 383 which is factory dyno'd by the builder at 460hp/490tq when it was built. Bowtie on their site says the stage 2 will handle "a steady diet of around 450/500 hp and 400/450 tq." Will this be ok for my application? I'm really will rarely go to the strip with it and probably just do some spirited driving. I'd really like it for the overdrive. My other question is the seller says it's been sitting in the crate for 2 years and never installed. Is there any issues that could be caused by it sitting around unused for at least 2 years such as seals drying out or the clutches not having fluid? Anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He sent me the receipt showing what transmission and what upgrades it has. I guess my concern is if sitting around for 2 years would affect the mechanics of the transmission such as seals, friction plates ect? I wish I new more about auto trannys but those things are like Rocket Science to me :confused:

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
260 Posts
Need a little advice from the guru's of SNS. I found a guy selling a 2004r built by Bowtie Transmissions and it's their stage 2 build so it would be perfect for my 383 which is factory dyno'd by the builder at 460hp/490tq when it was built. Bowtie on their site says the stage 2 will handle "a steady diet of around 450/500 hp and 400/450 tq." Will this be ok for my application? I'm really will rarely go to the strip with it and probably just do some spirited driving. I'd really like it for the overdrive. My other question is the seller says it's been sitting in the crate for 2 years and never installed. Is there any issues that could be caused by it sitting around unused for at least 2 years such as seals drying out or the clutches not having fluid? Anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks in advance.
When I purchased my 2004R from Bowtie it came very well crated and sealed externally. I don't think you should worry as long as it was stored in a dry garage. I went with the level 3 for the peace of mind. My trans works great. Follow the install instructions!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I purchased my 2004R from Bowtie it came very well crated and sealed externally. I don't think you should worry as long as it was stored in a dry garage. I went with the level 3 for the peace of mind. My trans works great. Follow the install instructions!
I'm still trying to decide if I should go for it but thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The people at Bowtie Overdrives seamed very friendly and open. I live about 5 miles from their shop, and stopped by because I am going to put a 2004R in my 69 and am deciding between them and Art Carr in Huntington Beach. I am looking at the stage 3 with the billet upgrades too, so I never have to worry about my trans again. I bet if you called them they would help you out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
200r4 is same physical size and same yoke as th350 and powerglide, so no driveshaft change.

Other people have other reasons, but its an easier swap from that perspective.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts