Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain WHY there is not a drain plug in a transmission pan?

I was trying to remove mine without making a tribute to the Valdeez spill, and it was looking like it was going to be real messy. I was tryin the old ' loosen the pan bolts on a corner and let it drain out' method, and it was starting to drip out along the entire length of the pan. What a mess.

So I got fed up with the prospect of an impending spill, and just drilled a 3/16" hole in a corner. Let it all drain out, pulled and cleaned the pan, then welded the hole.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Can anyone explain WHY there is not a drain plug in a transmission pan?

I was trying to remove mine without making a tribute to the Valdeez spill, and it was looking like it was going to be real messy. I was tryin the old ' loosen the pan bolts on a corner and let it drain out' method, and it was starting to drip out along the entire length of the pan. What a mess.

So I got fed up with the prospect of an impending spill, and just drilled a 3/16" hole in a corner. Let it all drain out, pulled and cleaned the pan, then welded the hole.
You should have installed a drain in the pan while you had it off so you don't have to deal with it again. You already had a hole drilled. Kids these days

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I think there are 2 reasond there are no drain plugs in the stock pan.
1. saved the factory a few cents per transmission.
2. Manufactured probably wanted pan pulled to change fluid so filter would be changed at the same time. I know a lot of the quick lube places flush the fluid without changing the filter or even dropping the pan but that does not make it right.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I know a lot of the quick lube places flush the fluid without changing the filter or even dropping the pan but that does not make it right.
Just to think... some new cars do not even have transmission filters anymore :no:

Tg

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Just to think... some new cars do not even have transmission filters anymore

Tg
or trans dipsticks. just another way to make to you take it to the dealer :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I just got a large tupperware container for doing tranny services. You still have to be a bit careful when you remove all of the bolts to empty the remaining fluid in the pan.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on another site, it was recomended to me to shoot it with a .45, then install a drain plug in the hole.

The obvious problem with that technique not withstanding.. .I like it!

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
I did the drill a hole thing once also, two seconds with a Mig and it was fixed. I didn't add a drain plug it wasn't mine and wasn't planning on changing again. It really cut down on the mess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts