Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this is the most basic transmission question you'll see on this board.

But I have a TH350 and I want to replace the linkage seal. I have the tool and know what to do with it. I know I need to remove the U shaped bracket that is bolted to the trans that shifts through the gears. Its done by this lever/bar thing with a cotter pin in it. I took the cotter pin out and tried to slide that bar out but its in there pretty tight. I guess its bolted to some pivot point on the frame then runs up and is controlled by the column shifter. Is there some trick to freeing that bar that runs through this U bracket found on the trans so i can get to the bolt that holds that bracket?

Image...
http://www.chevyasylum.com/tech/68nova_198w.jpg

Thank you!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Shift linkage seal

Im sure this is the most basic transmission question you'll see on this board.

But I have a TH350 and I want to replace the linkage seal. I have the tool and know what to do with it. I know I need to remove the U shaped bracket that is bolted to the trans that shifts through the gears. Its done by this lever/bar thing with a cotter pin in it. I took the cotter pin out and tried to slide that bar out but its in there pretty tight. I guess its bolted to some pivot point on the frame then runs up and is controlled by the column shifter. Is there some trick to freeing that bar that runs through this U bracket found on the trans so i can get to the bolt that holds that bracket?

Image...
http://www.chevyasylum.com/tech/68nova_198w.jpg

Thank you!
Looking at the image you posted---if you are trying to change the shaft seal in the tranny case behind the box bolted to it in the pic---you have to drop the tranny pan to get that shaft out. If you drop the pan you will see how it comes out. I have done a few with a long sheet metal screw & pulled it out that way. I don't recomend this method ,if you have the tool use it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry thats an image I found online. i want to get to this point. I dont know how to pull the rode out that runs through this U bracket. I know there is a cotter pin holding it in. But even after to removing that the rod doesnt seem to want to just push out. Its under a lot of tension

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You can replace that shift shaft seal without removing the manual shaft. They make a special tool to remove and install it. I’ve got the tool and done a bunch before. It can also be done carefully without the special tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts