Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changing my engine from a 350 to 383 Stroker. Had my TH350 upgraded to handle 600 hp. The shop that did the work, recommends Dextron III. It's hard to find,in fact discontinued. I've already purchased Dextron VI. Is that alright to use, in lieu of the Dextron III?
The trans, and new torque converter, are bone dry now. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did see that on the bottle. My trans guy says it is too thick, and to use III. I am withdrawing this question. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also,have read that Ford fluid will work also. Gonna go with what I bought. Thanks moderator.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Too thick...
Doesn't sound right to me, since the direction lubricants have been moving over the last 50 years is thinner and thinner, in order to reduce parasitic losses.

47 views, and no replies?
It's the internet.
On average, at least 95% of views are from people that aren't logged in or won't reply even if they know the answer. The remainder of views are from bots and the small number of people that actually participate.
On internet forums - especially those that are popular in Google and Bing search results - the norm is 20-50 views per actual reply.

But the more highly focused or advanced the subject matter, the higher the views-to-replies ratio goes.

I have an open thread started about five years ago on a hunting forum with a title and subject matter interesting enough that it's sitting at over 800,000 views, now. But, the subject matter, while interesting to many people, is advanced enough that there have only been 22 replies - mostly from people asking for an explanation of the process and product presented.

Better, but similar situation on another gun/hunting forum, with an open thread sitting at 301,926 views and 84 replies. It's a very highly-focused discussion about a subject requiring not just highly-specific knowledge of a particular device, but hands-on experience well beyond that of the average American - let alone the average forum member (whom is generally already far more knowledgeable and experienced than a random idiot on the internet).

·
Registered
406 Posts
All dexron fluid is backwards compatible. MOST applications that use it can use the newer stuff. I believe the tremec manual transmissions don't like the newer stuff if they call for the older stuff (my T56 in my 06 GTO is that way). Amsoil sells fluid that is for the transmissions calling for the older dexron.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I buy the Valvoline dex/merc on amazon, less than 14 dollars a gallon, i run it in my built trans for my 04.5 cummins, thats what the builder recommends due to the clutches that they use.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
have a tci in mine,recommended type f.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I seriously doubt there's a viscosity difference between any of the versions of Dexron, especially when at operating temperature - which is what counts.

Type F, all else equal, will shift harder than Dexron. If you have performance clutches, or a modified valve body or shift kit, the transmission is probably shifting harder than stock already. So I would only do this knowing what to expect, or with a recommendation from the trans builder or someone who has a trans from that builder. Back in the days when I drag raced, I always used Dexron - with the idea I didn't need harder shifts that might cause tire spin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts