Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not find my original one for my TH 350 so I grabbed one my mechanic had lying aroud. It's a 27" length and seems to stick up way too far, even higher than my distributor cap! I really don't want to drill a hole in my hood for the dipstick :no:

My local speed shop lists two sizes for passenger car with 350 trans.....a 27" and 34". Can anyone provide a source for the proper length dipstick and is it better to install before engine/trans installation or after? thanks.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,040 Posts
I cut about 2 inches off my dip stick tube and then cut the same length off my dip stick and riveted it back on. I tried to weld it back together but just burned through it. Glad I had an extra laying around to try the rivet thing.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
The tube comes in different lengths depending on application. The short tube is part number 330120. The dip stick for short tube is 1239014. Both parts are current and cheap at any GM dealer. It is a easy swap. Earl

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tube comes in different lengths depending on application. The short tube is part number 330120. The dip stick for short tube is 1239014. Both parts are current and cheap at any GM dealer. It is a easy swap. Earl
That works. I have a friend at a local dealer and get a pretty good discount. Thanks for those part #'s.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered those parts today. Parts guy couldn't confirm the length but I trust your info Earl. thanks.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up my trans tube and indicator today. Height seems good. Looks like it mounts to the inside of the trans, as opposed to an older dipstick I found which mounts just to the outside of the trans bellhouse bolt. You can see in these pics the mounting brackets are different. I may run into clearance issues with the HEI. Gotta check it out further....

Any thoughts on whether or not the tube should be oriented to the left or right of the mounting bolt location?

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
I would not put that pick up tube tab between your transmission and engine. It could get things out of allignment. I would bend the tab back and mount it between the bolt head and the transmission case.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for reminding me about that. Actually, I scoped it out and the smaller 24" tube will hit the distributor. Best thing I can come up with is to remove the mounting tabs off each of the tubes. And then use the tab from the longer tube to affix the tube at the bolt area since that tab will orient the tube to the outside. I figure I can JB weld or use adhesive when I remount the tube to the tab.

Unless someone else has a better idea......I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Did you get a dip stick with the short tube? You could cut the long tube off the same length of the short tube and use the the short dip stick with the modified long tube.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you get a dip stick with the short tube? You could cut the long tube off the same length of the short tube and use the the short dip stick with the modified long tube.
That is the greatest idea I have heard since sliced bread. good one! thanks. I see no reason why this shouldn't be easy. Yes, I bought the short indicator stick. Looks like I'll have an extra dipstick tube now.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Just make sure you cut it the exact same length to get the correct oil level reading and make sure not to get in metal shavings down inside the tube.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I already taped off my cutting point. Will be cutting the top so luckily, no need to worry bout andy special flanges or seals. Tube is outside car so I willbe able to buff the cut edge and clean her up nice before installation.

I was planning on installing this as a unit with the motor and trans. good idea or bad?

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
I already taped off my cutting point. Will be cutting the top so luckily, no need to worry bout andy special flanges or seals. Tube is outside car so I willbe able to buff the cut edge and clean her up nice before installation.

I was planning on installing this as a unit with the motor and trans. good idea or bad?
If you don't have a lift the easiest way to install a transmission is to have it bolted to the motor and instal as one. You can do it with the pick up tube installed but sometimes it creates some clearance problems when trying to drop the unit down. It is not that hard to wiggle the tube in place after you have the motor/transmission mounted in. Reduces the risk of bumping and bending the tube on the firewall during installation. It always helps to have a friend/Dad to help you guide the motor/transmission in. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am installing the motor and trans as a combo. If the dipstick is easily inserted later, I will hold off till the motor and trans are in, then slip it in afterwards. thanks.

Funny....so far I have at least half a dozen people eager to help me with the install...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Motor and trans are in and there is plenty of room to install the dipstick tube. I took the longer one with the proper mounting bracket location and cut it down to size. Grinded the top edges smooth and painted it up.

Bottom of tube has a small lip. Does this need an O ring or any sealant when installed into the transmission?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Motor and trans are in and there is plenty of room to install the dipstick tube. I took the longer one with the proper mounting bracket location and cut it down to size. Grinded the top edges smooth and painted it up.

Bottom of tube has a small lip. Does this need an O ring or any sealant when installed into the transmission?
as far as i know there isnt an o-ring, i put a little right stuff sealent on mine- it is a pretty tight fit and its not under pressure...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installation worked out nicely. 24" dipstick tube seems the way to go. I have no idea why most of the catalogs list a 27" and 34" model. Metal tube slid into a deep style grommet that was already in my trans. Added a drop of weatherstrip adhesive to the grommet and put it in the trans. Then slid the tube into that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts