Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission cooler built into my radiator is not cooling enough. I have an a/c condenser in front of my radiator. I'm looking for suggestions on which type of cooler to get and where to put it.

·
Premium Member
11,285 Posts
Bruce....I mounted one to the passenger side of the radiator behind the grill. It was about 8" x 12" if I remember right. Made a bracket to hold it and ran the lines. Worked well for me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
IMG_0437.jpg

Here’s where I put mine. Just a couple of simple sheet metal brackets to attached it to the hood latch support and the valance panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
IMG_0439.jpg

To avoid air pockets remember to run the line that feeds the cooler on the bottom and return line on the top

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
I run a stand alone B&M stacked plate trans cooler (on a 2004R Trans with 2800 stall converter).
I have read that the stacked plate coolers are more efficient then the tub & fin design. I also mounted the trans coolers so the feed line was connected to the bottom off the cooler and the return line was connected at the top.

I never liked the idea of having a trans cooler line that was also connected to an internal radiator cooler... due to the problems that would occur if the trans cooler within the radiator was to ever develop a leak (coolant would mix with trans fluid 😫). I run my trans cooler as a "stand alone" unit.

I do not have a trans fluid temp gauge, so I just installed the largest B&M trans cooler that was available (B&M 70274). I have never had a problem.
B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers 70274

If you decide to go with a stacked plate cooler and want to save some money, B&M Super Coolers are reboxed Tru Cool coolers (both brands are made by Dana Corporation in Mexico). Tru Cool coolers are 40-50% cheaper and are lifetime warranty. B&M one year warranty.
I also found a Tru-Cool H7B Trans Cooler at Amazon for a lot less $$$ than a similar B&M trans cooler.
Amazon.com: Tru-Cool H7B ENGINE OIL COOLER: Automotive
The Tru-Cool H7B cooler looks exactly like my B&M 70274 cooler.

Whatever cooler you decide to go with, be sure to mount the cooler in an area with good air flow.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great ideas. The one RifRaf has looks like it would cool about anything but I am not sure I could get one that big in front of my a/c condenser. I like 74lsnova's idea of mounting it to the hood latch. Did you only mount it on one side? If so what keeps it from flopping around?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just happen to have my front end off to swap the fenders so it’s not complete. If you look on the left side of the cooler there is a little tab that bolts to the metal panel under the plastic valance behind the bumper. Once it’s all
Back together it’s rock solid and doesn’t touch anything

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Bubble Bee and Mosquito... R.I.P.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here’s a better shot of the second mounting point.
I see how you made the bracket but I can't figure out what you bolted it to. My car is a 68 and yours is a 74. I know the bumpers are quit a bit different. What are the dimensions of the cooler you used?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I will have to get the dimensions. I have a 68 nose on the car so they are exactly the same. The painted valance between the bumper and grill has a metal panel under the plastic valance. It bolts to that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The total dimensions of the cooler are roughly 11x6 including mounting flanges.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Here is how I mounted mine. It runs in series with the radiator's internal cooler.

I don't have a temp gauge for my transmission so no way to know how well it's working.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys with all these suggestions I should have no problem fitting one up front. Now I just need to save up for the burned up transmission I’m dealing with.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If it was me... I would still mount the trans cooler with the inlet trans fluid line at the bottom and the return trans fluid line at the top.

Reactions: J Mark
1 - 20 of 24 Posts