Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
62 nova with a two speed automatic looking to upgrade to 700r4 . Just wondering if there's any advice out there on finding one. It still has the factory one wheel wonder rear end . Looking to change gears also to Pawsey . Wondering if anybody would know what the best ratio would be matched up to that transmission with the 327.

·
Registered
947 Posts
You can try local transmission shops to see if any of them sell the 700R4. Another source is online vendors that sell transmissions (Bowtie Overdrives, Monster Transmission, Summit, Jegs, etc).
Something between a 3.55 to 3.73 seems to be a popular choice for a rear differential gear with a 700R4 trans. Nice "get up and go!"... with good cruising RPM at highway speeds.

P.S... Welcome to the site! Nice rag top (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts
Welcome to the site. We see both the convertible and the Chevy II behind it. What's the story on those cars and, are they yours, or just 'in The Garage'? I'm thinking that the rear end in the convertible isn't the original to that car, unless the axles have been drilled for 5 lug Cragars, or maybe it's been changed to a later Chevy II/Nova 10 bolt. There have been a number of good threads about swapping out to a 700R4, pairing it with a particular engine and choosing a correct rear end ratio so that it will all work together. Using the search bar at the top of the SNS site here might help you find other threads that have discussed this in depth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can try local transmission shops to see if any of them sell the 700R4. Another source is online vendors that sell transmissions (Bowtie Overdrives, Monster Transmission, Summit, Jegs, etc).
Something between a 3.55 to 3.73 seems to be a popular choice for a rear differential gear with a 700R4 trans. Nice "get up and go!"... with good cruising RPM at highway speeds.

P.S... Welcome to the site! Nice rag top (y)
Thanks bud.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the site. We see both the convertible and the Chevy II behind it. What's the story on those cars and, are they yours, or just 'in The Garage'? I'm thinking that the rear end in the convertible isn't the original to that car, unless the axles have been drilled for 5 lug Cragars, or maybe it's been changed to a later Chevy II/Nova 10 bolt. There have been a number of good threads about swapping out to a 700R4, pairing it with a particular engine and choosing a correct rear end ratio so that it will all work together. Using the search bar at the top of the SNS site here might help you find other threads that have discussed this in depth.
Yes both cars are mine . The convertible is about 90% finished in the other car I am just starting to build. I am thinking of a full frame resto mod with an LS motor..
I can’t find any tags or numbers on the rear end in the convertible so in the next couple weeks I will tear it apart and find out what it is. I believe it is a big housing so I can just change the The gears from what I’m told.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are you running for a torque converter. I just found a 700r4 I think I will put it in first then work the bugs out then hopefully soon after work on rear end. I'm running a 327 with a light cam. I thought maybe a 2500 stall

·
Registered
947 Posts
I am using a Street Edge converter w/2800 stall that was custom built for my car (I run a 2004R with 500+HP) and couldn't be happier. It feels nice and tight from normal start and cruising... but you know the stall is there when you mash the gas.
I highly recommend giving this company a call to discuss your car specs & goals... you may be able to use a "Mild Street Edge" converter based on your HP. Great company to deal with! See link below.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
' The garage' ……….. Very first thing = = WELCOME to SNS . With your Very Sharp looking Nova's . (y)

Look over here - maybe, to find what 'rear-end' . . . you may have (or at least , what "it was" - like year & what it's from ? ) .

NovaResource - Nova Rear Axle Codes ; may help ………… jim

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Then, I have a question for you ------ have you found a 700r4 trans ?

New member "mikies'63" has a new 700r4 trans in his 63 = = = = = he wants to go to a T 5 5speed .
May be worth a "conversation to "mikies'63" (Mike) . . . . . I'm just saying .

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome. I love the color of your car. I had no idea how good that color would look with a black convertible top. I swapped from a power glide to a TH350 with a 3:08 rear. If I were doing it over again I would go with the R4 with a 3:73. Just my 2 cents worth>

·
Registered
616 Posts
What size wheels and tires are you running. I keep looking at the picture of your car and absolutely love the look!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts