Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get away with running a brake on regular street gears? I called richmond and they said no way on running a pro gear on the street and that the street gears would not hold up to long anyone have any experience to back this up? Also what brand transbrake have you guys had the best luck with? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had used a TCI transbrake on a Mustang I had with a 3500 stall and 4.56 street gears and was leaving the line at 3300 rpms. I ran it like that for 3 yrs and never had a problem. I sold the car after parting it out and the guys is still running those gears.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've run street gears forever with a transbrake--I lost a couple teeth on a ring gear once, after about 5 years. Mine is a Hipster. I leave at 6000+

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I've run street gears forever with a transbrake--I lost a couple teeth on a ring gear once, after about 5 years. Mine is a Hipster. I leave at 6000+
thats all u need to read right there......:yes::yes::yes:. if this guy is doin it, look no further.....

JOHN

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'm assuming you are not running stock axles????? If not, what are you using? I am using a t-brake now but I have stock axles.:eek::eek::rolleyes: I have not taken the car to the track yet.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Anyone get away with running a brake on regular street gears? I called richmond and they said no way on running a pro gear on the street and that the street gears would not hold up to long anyone have any experience to back this up? Also what brand transbrake have you guys had the best luck with? Thanks for the input.
I also run a pro brake with street gears. So far i've been using the brake for about 5 months, no problems yet, and i leave at 4200rpm.

no trans brake here :no: i foot brake at 4500 now ( new converter ) :yes:
Jim, did you get the trans finished?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I also run a pro brake with street gears. So far i've been using the brake for about 5 months, no problems yet, and i leave at 4200rpm.

Jim, did you get the trans finished?
yeah my front pump bolts where leaking they never put in the washers :mad: ive already tried the converter on my street and its way fun like this :eek: :D :devil: :yes: now im working on my fuel system and in the process of rebuilding another trans i picked up for 10 bucks :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
So far I have 5 years on a set of 4:10 factory Ford 9" street gears that I got used from my friend's girlfriend's truck. I have a PG with a 4800 stall converter and I launch at 4600.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok so sounds like the street gears are a go. But are all transbrakes built alike? What brand would you reccomend, by the way I have a th-400. Also are there any major drawbacks of running a brake on the street other than having to possibly push the button to go into reverse.

·
Registered
153 Posts
ok so sounds like the street gears are a go. But are all transbrakes built alike? What brand would you reccomend, by the way I have a th-400. Also are there any major drawbacks of running a brake on the street other than having to possibly push the button to go into reverse.

I used to drive my old 68 nova racer on the street it had a TH400 with reverse manual valve body and transbrake it was a blast. I never even considered using the brake on the street. Just because the tranny has a brake in it does not mean you have to use it during daily use.

When I first got my car I broke myself in using the foot brake and flash methods till I was comfortable with the characteristics of the car during launch. After that I made several passes on the brake, starting @4k rpm and moved up from there till I reached 5.4k rpm which was the converter's stall speed on the brake (it would stall to 3.5k using footbrake method).

The way the brake was wired electrically, I had to flip a switched on the dash to energize the activation button on the shifter. This ensured I would not accidentally hit the button during normal street driving.

Good luck and enjoy it. :yes::yes:

James Y

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I have a ******* trans brake in my TH400. I haven't had it very long, but it works great om the street:devil:. I read on here about the different types of trans brakes and remember reading that a "Pro Tree" doesn't necessarily have to have a button activated reverse, it has to do with the way the brake is actuated and released.

I too have a toggle switch to activate the TB button. The ******* does require a button to activate reverse (like Mike's) and it will activate in neutral or reverse when energized it is also a "Pro-Tree" brake.

I am also going to connect the brake to my reverse light switch. I spoke to ******* and several peps on YB and that is the hot ticket. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I will look for the post or try and get the correct answer or someone will chime in.:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
yeah my front pump bolts where leaking they never put in the washers :mad: ive already tried the converter on my street and its way fun like this :eek: :D :devil: :yes: now im working on my fuel system and in the process of rebuilding another trans i picked up for 10 bucks :D

Cool Jim, when are you going to Irwindale? I am trying to get out there tomorrow night. I isn't 100% but I am trying to get off early and put the car on the trailer and shoot out there.

Denis

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
Yikes!!

OK.....I'm going to go against the grain on the gears. I ran pro gears for ever...........changed to a better housing and ran the debate about street or pro. The street gear won..........for only two passes. It shattered on the line and never moved the car. My car is 2880# without me in it and I launch at 5200 rpm. I will NEVER use a street gear again on the race track with a trans brake. There is a reason the pro gear has been developed. The price was very attractive to me at the time.............not so attractive once you waste money on a weekend long event and then have to purchase all the parts again.

Transbrake................for those using a button to back up here is something to think about. You have to have a nuetral safety switch to pass tech, or at least they are supposed to check. I used a second switch that was activated when the shifter was in reverse. It works pretty nice....put it in reverse and back up with all my hands free. I know, I know with a toggle switch your hands are free as well. Just don't forget to turn the switch off, once you are done backing up, or you will burn up your transbrake solenoid.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the type of transbrake. I run a pro brake, which typically means holding the transbrake button down to reverse the car. I imagine that can be a pain on the street.
yup :yes::yes::yes:,my Glides are like that. i just wired my transbrake to my reverse light switch also on the shifter, so when in reverse, TB activate, reverse like a regular car.

as far as the street gears. my buddy runs 3.00 street gear in his turbo camaro. he's gone as fast 8.60's & leavin @ 4500, its a drag radial car...

JOHN

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I run a stickshift with a street gear in a 12 bolt. I think that might be just a TAD bit more ABUSIVE on everything. It survives 6000+rpm launches no problem!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
The only advantage I see for a transbrake is to hit the tree harder. I've never seen any measurable gains in back to back testing, and in fact back in 2004 my father's best pass in his Super Pro Monte was footbraking in decent air...Went .02 quicker than 4600 off the brake in killer conditions...

As for me...I leave 1600/1800 off the footbrake, and have trouble keeping it down in good conditions...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts