Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some clarification on a transbrake.I know the basics on how it works but say I'm rolling through a parking lot, can I hit the button and rev it up? Also will it rev higher than the stall?

·
Registered
751 Posts
You can hit it if your stopped and in first gear. If your not stopped it will lock up the rear tires and tranny's and rear ends don't like that much. Thats why most people w/ tbrakes ride around the pits in 2nd gear so if you do hit it, nothing happens. And no you cant' rev higher than you stall. That is one way to tell if your converter took a dump. If one day its goes to 5000, and then 2 weeks later the car is slow and it revs to 6000 on the tbrake then your tranny has loosened up for some reason.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
That is one way to tell if your converter took a dump. If one day its goes to 5000, and then 2 weeks later the car is slow and it revs to 6000 on the tbrake then your tranny has loosened up for some reason
In my experience, it's usually the other way--when the converter died the stall went way lower.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I need some clarification on a transbrake.I know the basics on how it works but say I'm rolling through a parking lot, can I hit the button and rev it up? Also will it rev higher than the stall?
No offense, but it doesn't sound like you know the basics of how a trans brake works. A trans brake locks the trans in 1st and reverse at the same time. So you would definitley not want to engage it while the vehicle is moving. You would cause significant damage to the trans. Not to mention how uncool you would look as you slammed into the steering wheel with your body...:eek::yes::yes::D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Some cars equipped with trans brakes you have to push the button in order to reverse the car. but not all of them mine isn't one of them, but my car does back up about 6 inches or so if the foot brake isn't engaged when I hit the button

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
some trans brakes lock up 1st and 3rd too right? whether or not it applys the band or not?

All the brakes I have checked into do a 1st and reverse. The intermediate band gets removed and the is only the reverse band left in the trans.

My trans brake has to have the brake applied for reverse. I am going to wire it into the reverse light switch. So I will end up with a "auto" reverse and I will also have a toggle switch to energize the button for the brake.

Neutral would be a go idea if you just want to rev it up.:yes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
cool. I have a trans brake in my th350. Its a hipster brake but I didn't put it in so I assumed it applied first and reverse. I've heard some apply first and 3rd so thats why I asked. I have to hit the button to go into reverse too.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Forgive me if I have this wrong but I was under the understanding that Pro tree brake's were the ones that had to have the T-brake activated to back up.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Forgive me if I have this wrong but I was under the understanding that Pro tree brake's were the ones that had to have the T-brake activated to back up.
That's what I thought as well. But I saw a post here awhile back that explained the difference, but I cant't remember what it was.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I run a Hipster and it will back up either by putting the shifter in reverse, or hitting the button while in neutral, which is handier than wrestling with the 2 handed reverse lockout when you're all buckled in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts