Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I would put a TCI bracket brake in it whether you're footin or brakin. You can still run footbrake with a trans with a brake, and if you want to change classes and use the brake, it's all ready there. That's what I do. And make sure you have a convertor for a brake or you'll be sorry. Dave

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
put a third pedal in it. more fun. sort of like the six flags : more flags, more fun. More pedals, more fun. I promise. You don't even have to brake on the line, either, so you don't have to worry about foot braking or trans braking

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would put a TCI bracket brake in it whether you're footin or brakin. You can still run footbrake with a trans with a brake, and if you want to change classes and use the brake, it's all ready there. That's what I do. And make sure you have a convertor for a brake or you'll be sorry. Dave
wat do u mean as far as the converter with a brake??

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
put a third pedal in it. more fun. sort of like the six flags : more flags, more fun. More pedals, more fun. I promise. You don't even have to brake on the line, either, so you don't have to worry about foot braking or trans braking
are u sayiong stick or wat do u mean as far as the third brake?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i'm being suggestive that you put a stick in it. third pedal would be a clutch pedal. if youare on the street mostly you'll have a lot of fun shifting. unfortunately it is probably a lot harder to race it as a stick though. i'm biased towards manual transmissions. to me they're more fun. less consistent at the track and harder to get to hook. there's nothing like powershifting a small block with a stick. nobody expects the car to go fast

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I wouldn't get a T-brake yet. Have the trans built by a reputable guy and get a good converter. Foot brake it and have fun.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm being suggestive that you put a stick in it. third pedal would be a clutch pedal. if youare on the street mostly you'll have a lot of fun shifting. unfortunately it is probably a lot harder to race it as a stick though. i'm biased towards manual transmissions. to me they're more fun. less consistent at the track and harder to get to hook. there's nothing like powershifting a small block with a stick. nobody expects the car to go fast
well thats wat m looking for i dont want it to be a street car really just mostly strip

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't get a T-brake yet. Have the trans built by a reputable guy and get a good converter. Foot brake it and have fun.
ok sounds good that seems like a good plan, where do u get ur trannys done? and wat converter should i go with?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
ok sounds good that seems like a good plan, where do u get ur trannys done? and wat converter should i go with?
I had a guy named greasy george build my trannys. He's in manteca up here in norcal. Before him I had a guy locally in my town of sunnyvale who did the trans. I used to drive my car all the time so I liked not having to shift it all the time. I would bracket race the car and foot brake it but my brakes sucked and the car used to push thru the lights every time I stalled it up. I had george put a trans brake in it so I could become more consistant but it was kinda a PIA to drive it had a reverse manual valve body.

Now if I can't get george to do the trans again Im gonna do it myself.

Down there in socal you should have lots of good tranny builders. One guy I don't know if he still does them is larry klein. Continential, Coan, Munsinger are all good converters. Maybe Darrell Young if he's still in business. I use SMI up in Sacramento. Any one of the converter places will tell you what size and stall you need. Oh and I have to say Redneck converters too. They're in Texas and I know a few guys here in norcal that have those converters and love em!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a guy named greasy george build my trannys. He's in manteca up here in norcal. Before him I had a guy locally in my town of sunnyvale who did the trans. I used to drive my car all the time so I liked not having to shift it all the time. I would bracket race the car and foot brake it but my brakes sucked and the car used to push thru the lights every time I stalled it up. I had george put a trans brake in it so I could become more consistant but it was kinda a PIA to drive it had a reverse manual valve body.

Now if I can't get george to do the trans again Im gonna do it myself.

Down there in socal you should have lots of good tranny builders. One guy I don't know if he still does them is larry klein. Continential, Coan, Munsinger are all good converters. Maybe Darrell Young if he's still in business. I use SMI up in Sacramento. Any one of the converter places will tell you what size and stall you need. Oh and I have to say Redneck converters too. They're in Texas and I know a few guys here in norcal that have those converters and love em!
ok cooll ill just have 2 look into them and thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
When you get a convertor for a brake, it has anti ballooning plates welded in the front and back. There is a lot of pressure in there and it could balloon and push against the rear of the crank and mess up the rear bearing of the engine. It will not affect footin if you want to use it for that. I always buy what I consider the best. That's why I use Coan. I actually bought a 10" for a brake off ebay for $290 with like no time on it. I called Coan with the numbers and he said it would work for my combo. New they are just under $700. Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts