Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much can I expect my new transbrake to cut off my 60' time granted I hook up? I was running 1.8 60' doing the ole foot brake last year and hoping to get to maybe 1.7's or even 1.6's with the transbrake, electric waterpump and fan change over I did this winter. This will be my first time running the brake and I was just wondering what to expect.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I think you may see a slight gain, driving the car as you do. Perhaps as much as a tenth. Didn't make a difference on my car, but I flashed mine from a dead idle with a very loose convertor, with the brake it played out the same.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
My biggest problem was I could only launch around 2500rpm before the little pizza cutters in the front would give away and I'd start pushing them foward. With the T-brake I can hold it right at 3800 and not worry about breaking the beams.
Yes, there is that issue with footbraking and a transbrake will solve that problem. For the most part, the transbrake enhances launch predictability/consistency - a very important commodity in bracket and index racing. It's not necessarily to lower 60-foot ETs.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
When I footbraked my dragster I saw no change in 60ft. or ET for that matter. That was with an 8", 6200 stall. And I used to stall it at 3-3500 on the foot. The one thing you need to check, is that your convertor is for a brake. Or it will be broke. You need one with ballooning plates on it. When you footbrake, the tire stays planted without the shock. That's why sometimes you don't see a change in your times. dave

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
trans brakes let you bring your converter to max stall .... meaning you pull up , stage , hold trans brake button and mat the gas pedal and the motor will rev as high as the converter will let it .... meaning say you have a 3000 converter when you hold the button and mat it the motor will rev to 3000 .... trans brakes lock first and reverse together some are fluid release some are electric i beleive the fluid release ones are better i dont know never tried one. if you footbrake the car and your car pushes through the beams you may need to get a " looser" converter. i experianced this a couple of weeks ago in my car i pumped up the brakes started to stall the converter got around 3000 and the car totally pushed forward at first i thought the brakes werent holding but my father said that they where locked :eek: so i either need to try flashing the converter or get a "looser" converter. i think ive tried flashing the converter i dont remember

·
Registered
751 Posts
trans brakes let you bring your converter to max stall
not true, if you use a two step rev limiter they will allow you only to go to that step. Its very hard on converters to sit there and hold them at max stall. And i dont have balloning plates in my converter and i tbrake it every week. Ballooning plates are needed for n2o applications.

And the answer to the question is really unknown untill you try. I have 4 cars and have only tested 2 of them on tbrake to footbrake. One car doesn't change at all, and the other car picks up on the tbrake. depends on converter/car/engine combo.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
yes your right if your using a two step rev limiter it will only allow you to rev up til you hit the limiter although i do no a couple guys running no rev limiters and they leave really hard sorrta like a stick shift car im sure yours leaves the same way also even though you are against the rev limiter i dont have room to talk though cause ive never tried a trans brake out. if you trans brake with no limiters the converter better be made out of good material on the inside and i could of swore that anti balloning plates where for both n20 and trans brake apps if im wrong im sorry for posting in correct info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts