Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one tell me if this is something i should be worried about.the whole inside of the bell housing looks like it got a bunch of cracks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Looks like it's just from the casting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks thats what i was thinking but just needed a second opinion to ease my mind befor it go's into the car

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with the above posts that it's in the casting. But if you were to feel them, they are proud of the surface and you can feel them sticking out away from the surface.

99% of the time a person would do nothing but run it and forget about it, but if you're running tons of hp and are going to thrash on this a lot, it would be best to remove them from the casting.

Same thing as with connecting rods, removing burrs and scratches by polishing the rods, strengthens them.

This could be done very quickly with a 90° die grinder and 2" Scotchbrite discs. You would just be releaving the surface tension from the casting marks. Anytime you smooth anything, the less likely it is to develop a stress crack.

So it's your choice if you spend an hour and $20 on discs, or just put it in and start burning gas.

If it were me, I'd deburr and smooth it, but I'm just anal that way...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
just as a precautionary note... don't think about polishing the rod beams yourself. if done incorrectly the rod can be weakened, also after deburring/polishing the rods would require balancing/rebalancing...

casting flaws, as noted, can be the starting point of a crack... in ultra hi perf applications it would be wise to polish them out... but for most applications you'll be fine leaving the housing as-is. most folks in ultra hi perf applications would remove the bell from the case and use an "Ultra Bell" such as one of these...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make/CHEVROLET/?keyword=ultra+bell

·
Registered
212 Posts
just as a precautionary note... don't think about polishing the rod beams yourself. if done incorrectly the rod can be weakened, also after deburring/polishing the rods would require balancing/rebalancing...

casting flaws, as noted, can be the starting point of a crack... in ultra hi perf applications it would be wise to polish them out... but for most applications you'll be fine leaving the housing as-is. most folks in ultra hi perf applications would remove the bell from the case and use an "Ultra Bell" such as one of these...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make/CHEVROLET/?keyword=ultra+bell
Flyer, you are completely correct.

I was not going in to detail on the rods other throwing them out as an example that people do have an "expert" do this to strengthen them. It is very critical to know how much to remove and where. And of course balance the rod with the others as well as end to end in some cases.

My thoughts on the bell housing is that "I" would do this as a simple deburring only and there would be real risk in removing too much with a Scotchbrite disc to just smooth the surface. I also agree that this is NOT a must do by any means, I personally just like things neat and clean.

Cutting off the bell housing and converting to the Ultra Bell is about the only way to get into a SFI housing on an automatic trans.

I'm sure I'm not unlike lots of guys here about cleaning and cruising their cars. I would not take the Willys out even for an ice cream without wiping it down and deatailing the outside. When I got ready for a show, I'd put it up on jack stands and spend a few hours spraying and cleaning the complete underside, frame, stainless brake and fuel lines, inside of wheels, trans, motor and pan etc. So having the inside of my bell housing cleaned up prior to assembly would just be a normal thing for me to do.

I'll admit my ingnorance in racing applications as I'm only car guy without many racing roots. I do appreciate all the race experience on this site and I'm reading everyday with great respect for the work that's been done here.

So if I miss speak and I'm talking out of my butt, please knock me down a bit, I can take it!!!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
naw, everything's cool... clarification sometimes helps. we don't want members jumping the gun on certain processes. not saying specifically the poster of the thread/questions but future possible readers. ;)

everything is Honkey-Dorrey :D

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Thats from the casting...

Be surprised at how often you will see that....

I do alot of R n R ( Remove n Replace ) at where I volunteer my time at a local shop on the evenings, all the cars I have touched have that :yes:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the tips guys.as for my rods and crank i had all that done at a shop so i wont have to mess with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts