Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am raising the trans tunnel in my 65 Nova to get the ride height lower. Any suggestions. Looking for tips.
Air ride 4 link.
Shockwave 7000
Dana 60
stock trans tunnel- for now-

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yeah, I made a new trans tunnel when I put in the 700-r4. I was making the rest of my floor out of 16ga sheet metal so I thought to do the same for the tunnel. Oh MAN!!! What I didnt know was how hard it was gonna be to bend it. Its a compound curve I guess? Cause it tapers off. Even a simple bend would have been difficult.

So anyway, I did the best I could, I dont have any real metal working equipment, a big roller would have been nice.

So what I did may appear a lil unorthodox but in the end it worked..

I made a template from heavy construction paper to fit the hole I made in the car. Taped that to some sheet metal and plasma cut the sheet out. Now lemme tell you, 16ga sheet metal is hard to bend by hand. Not like some 22ga that would work just fine. So I man handled it around a piece of 1' dia pipe as best I could, just to find out I wasnt getting much bend. It would spring back. So I decided to use some straps with a ratchet to hold the shape as I bent it. Slow going. Finally got it bent. But it was too sharp of a bend, too linear and I needed more width at the top. So I put it in the 50 ton press I made and blocked it up at the lower sides while pressing down on the top. It worked, gave a nicer shape. So with it all under tension still I transfered it to the car and tacked it in place so I could remove the straps. Long way to get to the end but with a limited amount of tools and knowhow sometimes thats the route I have to take.

The drive shaft clears it just fine. I have lowered the car down (air ride) on its bump stops and its all clear. And its REALLY solid. LOL

Here are some gritty pre-digital film picture scans. Just so you can get a laugh :) JR

The pressing of the top to widen it.

Getting ready to tack weld it in. Duct tape and newspaper!! What the hell :)

Welded in. And yeah, I added side panels to connect the bent part to the floor.

Shot to the rear, it clears the drive shaft loop now.

Oh, all that white bird dropping looking stuff is must-for-rust. http://www.dtep.com/mustrust.htm Out here all sheet metal gets a light coating of orange. You touch it and you have an orange finger print in two day. No biggy, its just surface haze. The MFR turns it into a sort of phosphate coating. This is the small tunnel from the main tunnel to the rear end.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
just finished will weld tomorrow
Ok, now Im an idiot LOL Just looked for all the old oics to post and you got it all done before I could even get my pics up :) Yer fast, and looks much nicer. I thought you were looking for tranny tunnel stuff. Looks like the rear section, my bust... Looking good!!!! JR

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done!

just get my new hardened bushings from ART pressed in tomorrow and she is back and running.:jumping::jumping:
WHAT A WEEKEND!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts