Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up a '68 Nova drag car. It is complete minus engine. The car has a TH400 in it and the previous owner said that the car weighed 2600lbs with a big block. We will be putting in a 540 with 800+ hp and I was thinking that we should go to a Powerglide. There doesn't seem to be anybody around here that can build a race transmission; who would you guys suggest that can build a stout trans and converter and send it to me?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
818 Posts
Since you are in Washington< Idaho is not to far. Final Round Performance in Nampa Idaho builds good race transmissions. Call John @ (208) 465-0990. He won't BS you.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discount Transmission, in Sutherlin Oregon, builds most of the race trannys around here. I've used a few of his, in my race car and circle track car, and like them. I can give you a phone number if you'de like. Don't let the name fool you, its not 'discount' work.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My brother and I run Final Round Performance TH350's and TCI race converters...not the ones you'll find in Jegs or Summit. Never had a problem and John is great to deal with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got the car going. We wound up with a used 510ci engine that has both a fogger system and plate nitrous system. We probably will not even hook up the nitrous for a while. Took it to the track tonight and ran horrible - the car died on the start line and takes forever to start the engine. The car is using huge amounts of fuel and the plugs are 100% black. It has a 1050 dominator and I noticed the boosters are very loose. I pulled the bowls off and it has plugged power valves and 79 jets. I think it is pulling fuel from underneath the throttle blades or somewhere, and the previous owner was trying to compensate with the small jets.
The best time was an 11.30, then the transmission blew. It makes a rattling sound when I put it in gear and will move slightly if you rev it way up.
Do any of these places have a TH400 ready to go with a transbrake that we can buy right away?
Brian

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
Old engine broke a lifter and took out most of the engine and tranny grenaded.
We got a new 540 dynoed at 865hp and a new TH400 with a spragless converter. Car has only ran a best of 9.38 at 141mph in the street legal class. Seems like it should be much faster, how much et and mph are people losing by going to the spragless converter?
Brian

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
We use Trans Specialties around here. I got their converter. My buddy has their trans and loves it.
I second that. Transmission Specialties builds top quality products, practically bulletproof. Maybe I'm biased becasue they're local, but I've had their transmissions and converters in many cars without any issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts