Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on how to stop a trans fluid leaking from the driveshaft yoke.

I don't think it leaks when driving (there is a minimal amount of fluid just above the front U joint from rotation) but once it sits in the garage I get a constant drip of trans fluid from the back of the yoke.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated:yes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any suggestions on how to stop a trans fluid leaking from the driveshaft yoke.

I don't think it leaks when driving (there is a minimal amount of fluid just above the front U joint from rotation) but once it sits in the garage I get a constant drip of trans fluid from the back of the yoke.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated:yes:
replace the tailshaft seal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tailshaft seal seems fine. There is no fluid leak where the yoke slides into the transmission.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the tailshaft seal difficult to change? I've done pretty much all the work to the car but I bought the 200 R4 transmission and just had to swap out the 4 speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom,
You're not refering to the seal at the end of the transmission that seals the yoke when you slide it in the tail of the transmission are you? cause it's dry as a buckwheat fart... You had mentioned the tailshaft seal:confused:
Is there a seal that I can change if I remove the tailshaft housing that prevents fluid from leaking thru the inside of the yoke ??

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Tom,
You're not refering to the seal at the end of the transmission that seals the yoke when you slide it in the tail of the transmission are you? cause it's dry as a buckwheat fart... You had mentioned the tailshaft seal:confused:
Is there a seal that I can change if I remove the tailshaft housing that prevents fluid from leaking thru the inside of the yoke ??

Yes, that's the seal I am referring to.

Can't leak through the inside of the yoke. The seal fits into a beveled out area of the tailshaft, then the driveshaft yoke slides onto the splined tailshaft. I was referring to the beveled out area that holds the seal to the tranny, sometimes they leak....

My seal leaked setting still, didn't leak while running. Change the seal and start from there...easiest thing to do first...

Also, don't forget the seal in the speedometer housing. Make sure your speedo cable is tight too.

T,

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Check the o-ring on the speedo gear housing, might be there. It could also be leaking around where the tailshaft seal mates to transmission, not the driveshaft seal....

T,
Not to hi jack this thread but mine leaks from where the speedo connects to the trans. How do i replace the o-ring?

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Not to hi jack this thread but mine leaks from where the speedo connects to the trans. How do i replace the o-ring?
Take the bolt out holding the assembly in and remove it. Replace the o-ring and reinstall. It's kinda tight, so you may have to twist it as you remove it. You also may have to do the same to reinsert it, just be careful not to jamb it against the teeth on the tailshaft.....

T,

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I finally have a good piece of information. Maybe late but, better late than never.

I had the same thing happen. Your yoke probably has a small hole in the center of the yoke. You will not know it is there unless you take the shaft out and look down the center. You will have to take the yoke off the driveshaft and find another yoke.
OR...
There are some yokes that have a small disc that is concaved that will fit in a little spot at the back of the yoke. This hole will allow just enough fluid to leak all over the place. Ask me how I know.

You can put some sealant in the small hole or place the disc over it or replace the yoke but you must close off this hole. I replaced the rear seal, checked my speedo hole, all that. Still leaked. I searched for a week and then found this hole. Found a disc that goes in there, epoxyed it in there. Some yokes on truck transmissions had this hole. I assume for ventilation but others told me it was always plugged or covered by the disc I mentioned. Replacing the disc fixed my problem immediately and permanently.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

cale

1 - 12 of 12 Posts