Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was going to stay away from the forum the whole weekend, but seeing as to how I'm tearing into my Nova it's kinda hard.

I'm finally going to break down and ask. What could it be? I Can't see where it's coming from.

When I first got the nova, it had a stock 350 in it with a new TCI tranny. It did NOT leak. I pulled the engine out a month or so ago and installed my 355 flat top engine. I was very careful, pulled engine alone, used jack on tranny. Trans did NOT fall forward.
Converter did NOT slip off.
Lines were left on and are tight.

But like my firebird, same thing. After getting the new engine in, and several weeks later, I have a large transmission fluid spot covering the whole area under the car. I can see a slight drippage off the corner of the pan toward pass. side. I can't see any leaking from the converter, nor the lines. And the pan looks sealed. Where could this be coming from? I thought maybe if I jerked the linkage, but it's not on that side :confused:

Any ideas fellas?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've thought of that, ya know, but it hasn't moved, so would it leak sooo much? I bet there's at least a full quart on the ground. How would it put that much out ya think? Pressure? Like in weather and such? It has been a month or so of weather changing, hot, cool, storm then nice.

But I think I'm not going to worry about it, just get the engine fired up and broken in and go from there. If it pulls, I'll drive it to work for a couple of days (2 miles to work) and see how she acts.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
when you find your problem please let me know. I have the same issue and I think I tossted the tranny. Not sure if it is leaking from the front seal or the dipstick area.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I had a similar problem with my TH350. Started seeing a puddle of trans fluid after I changed the motor out. In my case I rarely saw it leaking, the pan gaskets had just been replaced and the puddle didn't show up unless the car sat overnight, apparently after the converter drained. After reading everything I could find and checking dipstick, tail, etc, I saw a comment about leaking out the shifter rod. There is a metal/rubber seal that fits over the shaft and it has to be driven out from the inside. But one of the posts said there is enough room to leave the old one in place and drive a new one on top of it. So I tried it and fixed the problem. Took about 20 minutes with a $5 part. :) It is worth a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts