Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first time rebuilding a th350 i was wondering what kinda trans fluid to use while assembling my trans. i will be using this for street/strip use its going to be a total rebuild all the internals look real good the bushing are still copper looking the only part that was bad was the 1-2 acumulator spring it was broken in three different spots any help with my rebuild would be much apprecaited ive never done this before im using the "hp how to build a th350" book. i am going to install red alto clutches a kolene steels as well as a kevlar band i will also be puting in a better sprag/drum and a manual valve body any advice :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Hey Jim...since no one posted a reply, I'll chime in...

I run Mike Stewart's ATF blend in both of my race transmissions (Ultimate Glide and a clutch-TH400). It's the best trans fluid I've used - and I've used all kinds - for my race cars. Let me know if you need/want to try some.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's been quite awhile since I took a transmissions class in college so I very well could be wrong here but this is what I seem to remember.

Type F fluid is good a grabbing but bad at holding.
Dexron is bad at grabbing but good at holding.

Ford transmissions using Type F fluid have smaller clutch packs than their Dexron using brethren but have more friction plates and steel plates per clutch pack. The smaller clutch pack doesn't grab as well but since it has more frictions and steels it holds better. The Type F fluid makes up for the lack of initial grabbing ability.

The Dexron transmissions (ie. th350 and th400) have larger clutch packs. This makes its initial "grab" work great but since it has fewer friction plates and steel plates per clutch pack it doesn't hold them together as well. The Dexron and its great "holding" properties makes up for it.

That being said, I have a powerglide I use Dexron in and have absolutely no problems. My brother has a powerglide he uses Type F in and also has had absolutely no problems. Of course I should also mention his PG is built for racing and has extra friction and steel plates in the clutch packs. I bought mine from BTE and I honestly don't know what's inside it, never had it apart.

Hey experts, does this sound right? If I'm wrong I'd sure like to be corrected and do some learning!

·
3,875 Posts
Make sure you do the air tests as you go. It'll help a ton if something is not together right.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for the advice i didnt relize that i made a critical error when posting this thread i meant what is the best type of fluid to use for rebuilding vin63 has been helping me with the fluid type so that problem is takin care of. thanks vince ill keep u guys updated on my progress im sure im going to have more questions :yes:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Each clutch pack will have an opening for the fluid to enter and hold the clutches together during operation. If you put a rubber end on your air gun/blower you can pressurize the clutch pack as if it were trans fluid. If the clutch pack does not engage then you probably have a seal in wrong.

·
3,875 Posts
They'll be in your rebuild book. Basically checking piston seal integrity and movement.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your right i just looked in my book thanks for the tips guys. keep the tips comin fellas :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
parts store brand Type F always worked for me, just used some in a 99' bravada trans, as for the busted accumulator spring, look into some th350info on leaving it out, i did this on my th400 and the shifts were brutal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts