Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1964 no post all orginal love
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have have insight into why a 62 would have a trans cooler and a 64 does not? Same 194 and power glide in both. Was it an option?

gottojet

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
my '64 had an air cooled 2speed. You sure yours is the original transmission? I thought the '62 had an air cooled tranny too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
krash,
Thats what I'm curious about. My 64 is the same as yours but this 62 has the small cooler that sits infront of the radiator. I guess I'm also curious if anyone out there has felt the need to have a trans cooler on a 2 speed.

gottojet

·
Registered
990 Posts
Are you sure the cooler is hooked to the trans? Could it be an engine oil cooler someone rigged up? 62 had a manual 3 speed of the 2 speed air cooled powerglide. I don't think you can even add a cooler to the powerglide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was where it was connected to the trans. Pax side just in front of the filler tube. This was a rebuilt installed in the car 5ish years ago and this very well may be a case of cut and paste. Just curious...

gottojet

Attachments

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
seems like they didn't necessarily rebuild the original transmission and installed one that needed a cooler.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Does the bellhousing have the holes in the sides and does the converter have fins? If not, that's not the original trans.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the bellhousing have the holes in the sides and does the converter have fins? If not, that's not the original trans.
bomb, no it does not have the holes on the bell. I know that this is not the original tranny but it is just interesting that this was running a cooler.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, those early ones were air-cooled. The one in my car is now a later unit as well and you have to run a cooler on those. Interesting thing about those air-cooled ones is that they also had a secondary oil pump on the tail shaft that would actually let you push start the car (if you could get it rolling fast enough).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts