Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needs some help in this area. Before I buy my radiator, not sure wether to run an external cooler or a built in. Not sure what the limitations are of a built in cooler. I'm running a 10" 3500 stall th400. Any help thanks

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Needs some help in this area. Before I buy my radiator, not sure wether to run an external cooler or a built in. Not sure what the limitations are of a built in cooler. I'm running a 10" 3500 stall th400. Any help thanks
Years ago I asked the Teck guy at B&M transmissions if I needed additional cooling (allready had cooling for trans in radiator) when I stepped up my stall speed to 2800. He said that whenever you increase stall speed that they highly recommend you also install an additional cooler in series with the radiator cooler. Hope this helps,
John

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
get as big as you can afford.. heat is the destroyer of transmissions...

in my book the plate and fin type are the best at cooling..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70266/?image=large

Brand B&M
Manufacturer's Part Number 70266
Part Type Fluid Coolers
Product Line B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers
Summit Racing Part Number BMM-70266
Overall Height (in) 10.000 in.
Overall Width (in) 11.000 in.
Overall Thickness (in) 1.500 in.
Cooler Construction Plate
Cooler Material Aluminum
Inlet Size 1/2 in. NPT
Inlet Attachment Female threads
Outlet Size 1/2 in. NPT
Outlet Attachment Female threads
Number of Cooling Rows 36
Core Height (in) 8.000 in.
Core Width (in) 11.000 in.
Core Thickness (in) 1.500 in.
Cooler Finish Black painted
Quantity Sold individually.
Notes This racing model doesn't include installation components.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
i prefer external coolers. the one veno listed is a very good cooler...

·
Registered
375 Posts
From the TCI Transmission web site...... "Unless operating in an environment where the outside temperature is below 0°F, you should cap off the radiator cooler line openings and run your cooler lines directly to a new cooler mounted in front of the radiator. This allows the transmission to have its own cooling system and doesn't allow the engine water temperature to heat the fluid." http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/FAQ.asp#1 A high stall converter has no problem warming the fluid up to operating temps, so I see no benefit to running thru the engine radiator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts