Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. So what's all involved installing a t-brake in a th350? Do I just buy the solenoid or do I have to buy a valve body? Do the solenoid and valve body come together or do I have to buy them separately? :confused:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
You can't just bolt on a solenoid. The valvebody is totally different (manual) and the fluid passages are modified by the new body/plate to accept the solenoid/valve.
It would be very wise to build heck out of your trans too. Transbrakes throw a serious beating to the clutches/u-joints/driveshaft/axles/springs......did I leave anything out?

Where did you get just a solenoid anyway? At a garage sale?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't just bolt on a solenoid. The valvebody is totally different (manual) and the fluid passages are modified by the new body/plate to accept the solenoid/valve.
It would be very wise to build heck out of your trans too. Transbrakes throw a serious beating to the clutches/u-joints/driveshaft/axles/springs......did I leave anything out?

Where did you get just a solenoid anyway? At a garage sale?
You can buy them at Summitracing.com

So I'm assuming by your response that the solenoid comes with the vavle body? Correct?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Yes. I'm pretty sure you need to match up brand with brand, but don't quote me on that. I have just never seen them interchanged, but that doesn't mean you couldn't. The valve design may be different on the brands, TurboAction, Hughes, etc...

Tired of the old foot brake?

That's a pretty decent time for a small block car.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I'm pretty sure you need to match up brand with brand, but don't quote me on that. I have just never seen them interchanged, but that doesn't mean you couldn't. The valve design may be different on the brands, TurboAction, Hughes, etc...

Thanks. I am pulling the trans anyway so I thought I would beef it up and do a brke while I at it.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I currently have a ridiculous TH400 that has been very good to me. I had a MVB installed sans a transbrake. I sometimes wonder what life would be like with one, but I just don't want to torture the trans and driveline anymore than I have to. I used to have 4.56's, but gained MPH with 4.10's. If I was a regular nitrous guy, I'd would have gone with 3.90 or 3.73 for more MPH.

It would be nice to have a photo-launch once though:devil:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
It would be nice to have a photo-launch once though:devil:

Just look at Bowtie0069's avatar.

I just put a TB in my 400. I have a protree brake. I had to remove the front pump, drum and intermidiate drum, disassemble the intermediate drum drill a release hole on the drum re assemble intermediate drum and add heavy duty springs, reassemble and new VB and plate TB valve and solinoid with a 4500 converter.

With the correct and some info from some folks that know it has (so far) been a relitavely easy job. I did a complete rebuild while it was apart.

I should have it all back together in a couple of weeks. I am also doing a solid roller cam, new heads and intake. So I have alot going on, but the trans is done and waiting to go in.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
You can't just bolt the valve body and soleniod intot he transmission. There are internal modifications that need done to the transmission as well, so since it's all apart, might as well just do a total rebuild anyhow.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts

see novacain ............. thats all i have to say

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Just look at Bowtie0069's avatar.

I just put a TB in my 400. I have a protree brake. I had to remove the front pump, drum and intermidiate drum, disassemble the intermediate drum drill a release hole on the drum re assemble intermediate drum and add heavy duty springs, reassemble and new VB and plate TB valve and solinoid with a 4500 converter.

With the correct and some info from some folks that know it has (so far) been a relitavely easy job. I did a complete rebuild while it was apart.

I should have it all back together in a couple of weeks. I am also doing a solid roller cam, new heads and intake. So I have alot going on, but the trans is done and waiting to go in.
A wise man knows his limits. I'll tackle the motors; the trans guys can do their thing!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I agree let the trans guy do his thing, Its like letting a Veternarian checking a person witha heart condition " there doctors right ? ":thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
A wise man knows his limits. I'll tackle the motors; the trans guys can do their thing!
I agree let the trans guy do his thing, Its like letting a Veternarian checking a person witha heart condition " there doctors right ? ":thumbsup:
The trans guys know plenty of tricks, but if you look hard enough there are plenty of sources out there that are more than willing to give tips and advice.

I got the ATSG manual free with my rebuild kit and I spent $25 on the book from Ron Sessions called "How to work with and Modify the Turbo-Hydromatic 400 Transmission".

It's not that hard, there are plenty of detailed illustrations. get the right parts and save a ton of $$$.

And no I won't be pissed if I have to take it apart to fix something. The way I look at it is I can do it about 10 times and still be under the cost of having a trans guy do it with all the parts I have in it.

Hey life is a learning experiance, learn what you can, the trns guys had to.:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
The trans guys know plenty of tricks, but if you look hard enough there are plenty of sources out there that are more than willing to give tips and advice.

I got the ATSG manual free with my rebuild kit and I spent $25 on the book from Ron Sessions called "How to work with and Modify the Turbo-Hydromatic 400 Transmission".

It's not that hard, there are plenty of detailed illustrations. get the right parts and save a ton of $$$.

And no I won't be pissed if I have to take it apart to fix something. The way I look at it is I can do it about 10 times and still be under the cost of having a trans guy do it with all the parts I have in it.

Hey life is a learning experiance, learn what you can, the trns guys had to.:yes:

I'm with you Denny. The learning process is all the fun.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Pretty much every back to back test I've ever seen between a footbrake launch and then a transbrake launch...Produced no real measurable gains in ET.

The only thing that goes up is the wheelie height, as well as the transmission temperature. If your drive line isn't full of top notch stuff, a transbrake launch WILL find the weakest link. Yes, I know Mike Morgan has a stock driveshaft...It's luck of the draw. My luck, I'd blow it to pieces :D

With that said, I don't even have a transbrake..

see novacain ............. thats all i have to say
:D

·
Registered
262 Posts
WHILE EVERYONE IS RIGHT WITH REGARD TO THE ACTIONS OF A TRANS BRAKE, NO YOU WON'T SEE MUCH IF ANY DIFF. IN YOUR ET IT COMES DOWN TO 2 THINGS WHICH MIKE HAS SAID ALL ALONG.

#1 - TRANSBRAKES WILL PRODUCE TALLER WHEEL STANDS AND THAT WHAT SOME WANT TO DO AND THATS OK

#2 - TRANSBRAKES WILL MAKE YOU EVEN OFF A HEADS UP TREE

pHIL

·
Registered
595 Posts
Some cars work GREAT both ways, with and without a trans-brake. Some (most that I have seen) will work great footbraking, throw the trans-brake to them and they have a little more trouble. That said, mine works perfect both ways, with little to NO E.T. or 60' difference.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking I would use it more for starting line consistancy. I think I'm going to stay in the footbrake class. My track has just raised the prices and Pro-et is $80. instead of $60 like last year.:eek::(

·
Registered
508 Posts
My 60' off of foot break a 1.50-1.53 , off of trans brake 1.41-1.38. I also gain on averahe a .15 - .20 out the back. Thats my car but they all act different. Also my car hooks beter off the break because of my ladder bar set up. That is why i run one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts